03 battery problems & suggestions

E
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Went out to start my 03 today and the battery was weak. Not enough juice to turn over the motor, just click.
When I went to get out of vehicle - the flashers keep going - although weakly, and heard a beep. Turned key off, turned off all light switches, etc.. Electronic trunk release wouldn't release, used manual release behind seat, meanwhile blinkers kept going with a quiet beep. Was going to get tools to undo battery - then I pushed "emergency" button on key fob and lights and beeping quit. I guess it was the emergency horn and flashers going.

Anyway hooked battery charger up to battery. Then I got to looking at bottom side of cover than covers battery in trunk. Diagram said hook positive terminal to battery then negative to metal piece that holds spare down. Neat. So I unhooked my charger from negative terminal and put it on spare tire hold down. I don't know why I find that neat as heck but I do for some reason. LOL Just worked out.

Probably going to have to get a new battery - current one is a Motorcraft 4 or 5 years old. Just wondering what batteries you guys and gals are using? How long do you guys usually get out of a battery?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Went out to start my 03 today and the battery was weak. Not enough juice to turn over the motor, just click.
When I went to get out of vehicle - the flashers keep going - although weakly, and heard a beep. Turned key off, turned off all light switches, etc.. Electronic trunk release wouldn't release, used manual release behind seat, meanwhile blinkers kept going with a quiet beep. Was going to get tools to undo battery - then I pushed "emergency" button on key fob and lights and beeping quit. I guess it was the emergency horn and flashers going.

Anyway hooked battery charger up to battery. Then I got to looking at bottom side of cover than covers battery in trunk. Diagram said hook positive terminal to battery then negative to metal piece that holds spare down. Neat. So I unhooked my charger from negative terminal and put it on spare tire hold down. I don't know why I find that neat as heck but I do for some reason. LOL Just worked out.

Probably going to have to get a new battery - current one is a Motorcraft 4 or 5 years old. Just wondering what batteries you guys and gals are using? How long do you guys usually get out of a battery?

I got 10 years out of my garage kept '02 Bird and only changed it because i had a 1 year old battery in the '02 Lincoln LS i was trading in... but i only had like 20,000 miles on it at that point.

Went back and checked that battery is only 4 years old. I know mileage doesn't matter to a battery, but it has less than 10,000 on it. Just looked on Auto Zone - they want $175 for a battery.

I'm cursed with being an old man - and I remember when things were a lot cheaper.

Got a friend from out of town visiting and we are getting ready to go eat lunch. I know I'll end up saying - I can remember a time when a guy could get a great lunch for less than $5! And I can remember when a draft beer cost 75 cents too.

Heck I remember when a candy bar was a nickel, and now they want $175 for a car battery. My first vehicle (motorcycle) Harley cost me $150.

Time for people like me to move on and get out of the way.

My 2002 got eight years for the first battery; my 2005 still has the original - 14 years..

If your current battery is a Motorcraft unit, and it is only 4-5 years old, there is a good chance you still have warranty remaining on it. Most Motorcraft batteries come with a three-year replacement warranty, and are then pro-rated over the remaining four (or more) years. Check your invoice if you still have it, or check with your Ford dealer.

I'm using a Bosch AGM battery. Seems like a good application for an AGM, being in the trunk and also the amount of time the car sits in the garage between being fired up. I think it was group 65.

Well charger has been on battery for 5 hours. Went out to see if car would start. Opened door and alarm went off and lights started flashing and horn blowing. Only way to turn off alarm is through key fob. Put key in ignition - alarmed started again. Horn blowing full decibel -turn key still not enough to turn car over. Open door, turn key, lift trunk seems to set alarm off. Never had this trouble before, anybody know if this is common - weak battery sets off alarm? How do you disable alarm?

thanks

I updated your thread title from 03 Battery to
03 battery problems & suggestions.

It's important to have a detailed title to get people's attention on the summary page. 03 Battery could mean anything .

It's important to have a detailed title to get people's attention on the summary page. 03 Battery could mean anything .

okay - thanks

Can we post links to individual links to articles on Facebook and such. It would seem there are people over there always talking about issues we cover here and I would like to point them to the specific threat in this forum.

Elsie, Yes you have a tired battery.
A weak battery will trigger the alarm system. It just does. Not a problem with your car. The 2 doors, the trunk lid & the hood are all monitored by the alarm system. The alarm system uses the same switch in each of the above to also turn on the door ajar light. Yep if the hood isn't latched or the trunk isn't latch you will get a door light.
Back to your Battery. It sounds like you have a weak cell and the battery can't or won't take & hold a charge. Ford's MotorCraft battery has been priced at $109-$129 here in Eastern Washington. That included the dealer doing the exchange. This next bit is VERY IMPORTANT. Make certain you get a vented battery & that the vent tube is properly attached to the battery's vent. Our batteries due to being in the closed trunk need to vent their acidic gas out & that is done via the little tube to the exterior of the car.

BluByeU - Thanks for the info! I was hoping - that was the case - weak battery triggering alarm system.

It got up to 60 degrees today - now they are saying we will get a few inches of snow tomorrow. Think I will just close the car up and forget about it awhile. :D

I'm just glad to hear it isn't another problem and that is a normal reaction to a weak battery.

Thanks again.

Elsie
I have an 02 , have it about a year. My battery would not hold a charge for long . I decided to replace it. I did allot of searching for the correct battery . I found my replacement at ADVANCE AUTO PARTS. Group size 66 with 750 CCA and same size and specs as the Motorcraft. I installed it myself , detailed the battery area at the same time. This battery has the venting connection you need . Battery is the AUTOCRAFT GOLD and was 159.99. It fit perfect and is working great.
Local cost for a Motorcraft at dealer was close to $600. Crazy! I checked the code on my old battery and it was 10 years old.
Hope this info helps you.

Wow. When I bought my 2004 this last Spetember (2018) the dealer told me that they ,the dealer, replaced the battery. Ok. Now reading the post by Blubyeu I see that a vented battery is needed. Well I just went into my shop and checked the battery out and the vent is laying on the side of the battery and there isn't a vent connection on the battery. I'm heading back to he dealer Monday. I have a lot to learn about this car.. This forum is great!!!

I seem to be in the same boat. I mistakenly put the headlight switch in auto. Then put the car cover on. Of course it killed the battery. It wouldn't charge. Anyhow, I replaced the battery. The alarm went off when I tried to fire it up. It took a few times but I seem to have gotten that to settle down. Not it won't to to start. The electrical system seems ok. Any ideas? Thx

Last edited:
Having a cover over your car & having the headlight switch in the auto position has nothing to do with the battery loosing charge. If you are thinking that the headlights came on because the headlight sensor was in darkness due to the cover you are incorrect. If the ignition is off the auto position of the lights is off. The lights are on a internal timer they go off after the ignition is turned off & never come back on again until the ignition is tuned into the on position.

Now you say the car will not start, but the electrical system seems okay. Can you hear the fuel pump? It is a very soft whine coming from inside the cabin behind the seats. Very soft, but if the pump is running attempting to put fuel to the engine you should be able to hear it. No? Look first for a blown fuel pump fuse, I believe it is in the fuse box in the spare tire well. A blown fuse usually means the fuel pump is history.

Thank you for the good info. Yes, I can hear the fuel pump.

Having a cover over your car & having the headlight switch in the auto position has nothing to do with the battery loosing charge. If you are thinking that the headlights came on because the headlight sensor was in darkness due to the cover you are incorrect. If the ignition is off the auto position of the lights is off. The lights are on a internal timer they go off after the ignition is turned off & never come back on again until the ignition is tuned into the on position.

Now you say the car will not start, but the electrical system seems okay. Can you hear the fuel pump? It is a very soft whine coming from inside the cabin behind the seats. Very soft, but if the pump is running attempting to put fuel to the engine you should be able to hear it. No? Look first for a blown fuel pump fuse, I believe it is in the fuse box in the spare tire well. A blown fuse usually means the fuel pump is history.

There are only a few battery manufactures, so most of what you find are just different brands made by those few companies. Sitting idle connected to the car is hard on the battery. I use a BatteryMINDer Charger Maintainer/Desulfator for keeping numerous batteries charged while in storage. Note that the first one I bought failed after one winter, but the batteries were kept in great shape. I now have two of these units and they have been good. They have increased the performance of previously marginal batteries, but once a battery goes bad I doubt it can restore it. You can buy one here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EKY1EM/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Again, be aware the first one I bought worked over the winter, and when I went to use again the next winter it was dead. It may have been killed by a lightning strike, we get hit more than our fair share of the time.

Back