02 Tbird tilt wheel column

edward301
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
As mentioned before my steering column would tilt up and down, and telescope
out, but not in.

Today I dug into the column, which was not hard to do, and if you unplug the wires
to most likely the position sensor on the right side of the steering column the switch
will make the steering wheel tilt up and down, and telescope in and out but only in
short increments. Inserting key, and removing key no longer moves wheel with
this wire unplugged.

So in the second picture you see the black module with the orange line, this is
the module that must tell what position the wheel is in.

Anyone have any idea what part number goes with this part, or if it is even available.Tbird column top.JPG Tbird column side sensor.JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

As mentioned before my steering column would tilt up and down, and telescope
out, but not in.

Today I dug into the column, which was not hard to do, and if you unplug the wires
to most likely the position sensor on the right side of the steering column the switch
will make the steering wheel tilt up and down, and telescope in and out but only in
short increments. Inserting key, and removing key no longer moves wheel with
this wire unplugged.

So in the second picture you see the black module with the orange line, this is
the module that must tell what position the wheel is in.

Anyone have any idea what part number goes with this part, or if it is even available.View attachment 2507 View attachment 2508

There is a position sensor with only 4 wires coming out power, ground, wiper one for telescope and wiper two for tilt. pn C222
remove and carefully clean connector contacts. If you like you can get electronic cleaner to soak the assy in for a day or so then carefully fully dry before replacing. If you wish to work on it, you can measure the output voltages on pins 1 and 3 as you move the shafts. If you have to buy a new one any Ford Dealer parts department can help. (it is a common part used in many Ford Motor Company models. Lincoln LS 2002-5 also fits

Good to know, I did spray contact cleaner on it, with no help.

I saw one screw up front, not sure if a screw in the back, if so going to
be difficult to replace.

I will check voltages and see what I get.

Position sensor is bad, and part is no longer available from Ford.

Ordered a steering column off a wrecked car. Will remove sensor
Off used column, and check and clean, then put on my TBird.

Received used steering column, in good condition, took column apart and removed the position sensor
that is held in place by two screws. Temporarily connected position sensor from used steering column
and my tilt and telescope functions worked perfectly. So looks like I have to remove my steering column
and swap out position sensors. Once I get my bad position sensor out, I will take apart and see what went
bad inside. Pictures of position sensor.Tbird position sensor1.JPG Tbird position sensor2.JPG

Dug into the steering column today, ready to remove column in the morning. Not difficult to
remove everything, and gain access the main bolts-nuts to remove the column. What wires are
there are easy to unplug. Also easy to get to the FEM. Only three nuts holding it in place.Tbird steering column.JPG Tbird FEM.JPG

Happy to report car is all repaired and back together. Took about 2 hours. Completely pulled
steering column, took apart and installed rebuilt part. See pictures, everything on T Bird works
perfectly, now ready to enjoy car.

What happened as best as I can figure out is, when car had weak battery memory for steering
column must have lost its settings, and when we put key in car steering wheel telescoped out
to far, and tab on position sensor pulled out of fixed socket. Sensor is good, just tab is slightly
bent, will fix.

Here are pictures of car, and under dash. If anyone else is having tilt, telescoping issues let
me know, understand it well right now.Tbird dash.JPG Tbird steering colum.JPG Tbird under dash ac.JPG Tbird under center.JPG Tbird under left.JPG Tbird under left l.JPG Tbird finished.JPG

Although I don't need this now - and I hope that I never will - I really appreciate it when our members shoot photos of these projects! For me it is great to see pictures of what I'm going to get into, before I get into it.

Edward301, are you still consulting on steering column tilt/telescoping issues for a 2002 T-bird? I have one that telescopes just fine but will not tilt down. It's stuck in the up position. Playing with the tilt/telescope switch will occasionally move it but when you shut the car off, the steering column returns to the home position. eBay has several "steering column floor shift" units from the 2002 Lincoln LS that they say is interchangable with the same year T-Bird. Does that sound like the correct part?

Yes a 2002 Lincoln LS will fit your car. From heading your post sounds like
your position sensor is not working, or the tilt motor is bad.

My mother-in-law's 2002 tilt feature stopped working. Her local garage researched it and said they thought they could fix it for $1300.

I read this post and tried the battery disconnect. The tilt-tele is working now but I nearly had a heart attack because then the glass-drop would only go down. Fortunately p58 of the manual explained how to 'calibrate' the glass drop. The glass-drop, idle and transmission shift all go out of calibration when the battery is disconnected or replaced.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the "easy exit" feature that moves the tilt-tele to its limit every time the key is removed? That feature is not needed and the parts to repair it are not available

The best way to disable the tilt, telescope feature is to remove the plastic collar from the steering
column and in the attached photo you see the tile telescope position sensor, just unplug the white
plug from the position sensor, and steering column will no longer automatically move when you
insert or remove the key.

To move the steering column you will have to move the switch on the left side of the steering
column multiple times to get the steering column where you want it set, if you ever desire
to move it. Each move of the switch will make the steering column move a small amount.tbird sensor.jpg

IIRC you just need to remove fuse #19 in the passenger side kick pane fuse compartment....
My mother-in-law's 2002 tilt feature stopped working. Her local garage researched it and said they thought they could fix it for $1300.

I read this post and tried the battery disconnect. The tilt-tele is working now but I nearly had a heart attack because then the glass-drop would only go down. Fortunately p58 of the manual explained how to 'calibrate' the glass drop. The glass-drop, idle and transmission shift all go out of calibration when the battery is disconnected or replaced.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the "easy exit" feature that moves the tilt-tele to its limit every time the key is removed? That feature is not needed and the parts to repair it are not available

If you pull the fuse, you can not make any adjustments to the steering wheel at all.

Hoping this thread might still be active...I'm a new member brought here in search of a solution to fix what seems to be the same problem. I've had my '05 for 2 years now, and have just lived with the problem of the tilt/tele not functioning at all...it's in the down position. Don't really mind it, but it does block my view of the top of the speedo, and would rather have it functioning properly. When I take the key out of the ignition, I can here the sensor "click" (I had no idea until I read this thread that it was actually supposed to move in and up...), and when I try to adjust the switch, it will only click if positioned forward or up, but makes no sound when adjusted down or back. I assume it is at its limit? Hoping someone might be able to navigate me through a fix...the thread is really informative, just want to make sure my problem is the same or if there is another way to troubleshoot it. Thanks in advance-Marc

Back