2002 help with Kaminari hard tonneau installation

T
Last seen
Hi all - new member and first time poster.

I recently purchased a hard tonneau for the '02 Bird from Kaminari and am not sure how to install it. It would be gracious to call the information provided "instructions" Has anyone had any experience with these?

Aluminum "clips" at the back of the covers appear to be designed to fit under the sheet metal to hold the covers down but the fit is super tight - I already knicked up the paint on the edge :oops: :mad:.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7153.JPGIMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7153.JPG IMG_7152.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I recently purchased a hard tonneau for the '02 Bird from Kaminari http://www.kaminari.com/ford-thunderbird-tonneau-cover-frp and am not sure how to install it. It would be gracious to call the information provided "instructions" Has anyone had any experience with these?

Aluminum "clips" at the back of the covers appear to be designed to fit under the sheet metal to hold the covers down but the fit is super tight - I already knicked up the paint on the edge :oops: :mad:.

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1980 View attachment 1981
I also purchased one recently, and had the same concerns. I emailed Kaminari about the installation, and was told that the Tbird tonneau is a kind of 'orphan' project inherited by the current management.
First, the draw down latches included, if they are the same as I received, are too large to attach to the tonneau. I ordered some others from McMaster-Carr, and have 2 that look like they will work, and actually look attractive when the tonneau is not in place.
The fit is tight by the clips, but they do work, and the foam included will prevent scraping your car paint.
The nylon strap fits around the seatbelts and keeps the tonneau in place if a latch fails.
Once my husband helps me install the latches, I can send some pictures and installation instructions. I just went ahead and had the tonneau painted, because you only have to drill 4 holes to install the latches.
I will keep in touch. Maybe someone who knows more will answer in the meantime.

Thanks Doc - appreciate the info. The draw down latches appear to fit but I will look into others as these look a little industrial.

My question is the tight fit at the clips - how did you get it to fit without scratching? I assume you meant the foam would go along the underside of the piece where it rests on the painted metal and not inside the clips.

In the photo you can see the result of my unfortunately less than gentle attempt to get the clip to slide onto the panel.

IMG_E7154.JPG

Hi Two Bird and welcome to the Forum!

That cover looks like a winner especially if the latch issue is figured out and one has it painted to match the body color or maybe universal black. The pictures o their web site are for the 2002 Thunderbird Blue vehicles. I still have never figured out why Thunderbird Blue was only offered in 2002.

I saw a black cover on a Red Tbird on Hilton Head Island and it looked good. But that could just be me as I think the red hardtop is too much red and prefer the black hardtop on a red Tbird. One of the Tbird owners that lives less then half a mile from me has a red Bird that came with a red hardtop and he bought an extra black hardtop for his because he also likes the contrast. He told me he got the idea after seeing a red Tbird for sale in the Auto Trader that included 3 hardtops, Red, White, and Black.

Anyway keep us posted as to how you make out and what color you decide to go with.

Thanks Transporter - I think the red / black might look pretty cool but I'm going with the blue. I think it will be sharp.

Any additional advice on the install welcomed.

Our Tbird is also a 2002 Thunderbird Blue car. For our cars, I think matched body color is the way to go. But for some people on the Forum that own more then one 2002 to 2005 Tbird, they might think about getting one in Black so it can go on either car.

Thanks Doc - appreciate the info. The draw down latches appear to fit but I will look into others as these look a little industrial.

My question is the tight fit at the clips - how did you get it to fit without scratching? I assume you meant the foam would go along the underside of the piece where it rests on the painted metal and not inside the clips.

In the photo you can see the result of my unfortunately less than gentle attempt to get the clip to slide onto the panel.

View attachment 1982
Oh noes! The clips on mine weren't that tight.

I recently purchased a hard tonneau for the '02 Bird from Kaminari http://www.kaminari.com/ford-thunderbird-tonneau-cover-frp and am not sure how to install it. It would be gracious to call the information provided "instructions" Has anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1980 View attachment 1981

So, here I am, two years later. Same problem. Tonneau came yesterday with not so great instructions. If you have any pictures, input, placements, I would deeply appreciate it. THANKS!

So, here I am, two years later. Same problem. Tonneau came yesterday with not so great instructions. If you have any pictures, input, placements, I would deeply appreciate it. THANKS!
I think I may have figured this out. At first I couldn't believe you had to drill holes in it but I get it now. Now to line it up right...

This is by far the last (2) piece for our 2002 T-Bird. The cars lines are so perfect that little is needed to make it look better.....but the 2-piece tonneau cover took it over the top. Really surprised Ford dealerships didn't recognize this and offer to do the installation within their Paint and Body shops. I'd pay for a professional installation to avoid any mess-ups. The top would need primer and paint and I'd be happy to have Ford do the paint as well.

I might end up wrapping the vehicle in a cool scheme in an effort to keep the paint protected under the Texas sun.

I agree, the hard boot makes a great looking car better! I also think that so few are on cars, Ford did not want to have the hassle. I also am curious about different retaining systems on this part. Pic's would help, Newman.

Oh noes! The clips on mine weren't that tight.
I am also looking for help installing the Tonneau cover Dr, or anyone. I realize this post was years ago but if anyone can send me instructions, pictures or any help I would really appreciate it. TYIA!

I got my 2-piece tonneau cover along with the chrome bezel for the hood scoop. We have a 2002 Inspiration Yellow model that had 28K original miles when we purchased it a few months back. Finally got the big break-in when we drove it 1,900 miles in 28 hours.....it drove like a champ.

Anyhow, had a guy paint and install the tonneau cover.......his paint effort looked like a lackluster effort. I just got them here in Humble, TX so when I get a chance I'll do a wet/color sand and polish them up for the short term while a find another paint shop to re-do the job.

Kaminari tonneau cover. Paid $700 for it. Wrapped it. Works great. I need to see if it will fit in the trunk for a rain storm! Also got the chrome bezel for my hood scoop. Somewhere here I recently posted some new pics. Had it for over a year and is great.

Could someone please send me pictures of where you attached the latches and instructions? Thank you

I got my 2-piece tonneau cover along with the chrome bezel for the hood scoop. We have a 2002 Inspiration Yellow model that had 28K original miles when we purchased it a few months back. Finally got the big break-in when we drove it 1,900 miles in 28 hours.....it drove like a champ.

Anyhow, had a guy paint and install the tonneau cover.......his paint effort looked like a lackluster effort. I just got them here in Humble, TX so when I get a chance I'll do a wet/color sand and polish them up for the short term while a find another paint shop to re-do the job.
Where did you and @Desron2020 buy these? I don't see them listed anymore on the kaminar website which hasn't been updated in over 10 years and has non-functioning pages.

Could someone please send me pictures of where you attached the latches and instructions? Thank you
I am in process of buying a used set of these covers and would appreciate any instructions and/or information on the hold down latches as I will need to purchase and install same.

Back