2002-2005 Winter Storage Tips

W

What Fun

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently obtained a 2002 Bird and have arranged for storage of the winter months. I have a question regarding weather the soft top should be left in the up position (no hardtop on) or, with the soft top down with the hardtop applied. The car will be stored in a climate controlled area.
Also, any suggestions as to the best hardtop lift?
THanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently purchased an '02 which had been stored with the soft top-down and the hardtop on it for over a year. The soft top is in fine condition. When I stored my previous '05 with soft top up, because I didn't have a hardtop, it was fine also -- it was in our climate-controlled garage for about 7 months of winter.
A battery tender is a MUST -- learned that the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:
We purchased our 2002 Yellow Bird in late 2003. We started out storing it with the hardtop on. That began to be a hassle, because we live in Michigan and want the top down. We do not use it in the winter and is stored in our garage with a battery tender. The soft top is used when storing now. We bought a hoist and store the hard top on the ceiling of the garage.

I just purchased a 2002 t-bird from elderly couple.They were the original owner.They never took the hard top off, ever.They both passed away 6yrs ago and i purchased from daughter in march she didn't know it had a soft top.She never drove it either.The car had a battery tender on it also.Anyway, the soft top is in perfect condition, was worried electric soft top motor wouldn't work.To answer your Question it really doesn't matter if it's stored inside.I've owned several convertibles with no hard top, so either way is fine stored inside.I will put my hard/top back on when ready to store for the winter (inside).

Duffy

I usually put the hardtop on mine when I put it up for winter storage.. I make sure the soft top is completely dry before folding it back into the storage area.. I also change the oil and top off fuel with non ethanol gas ( yes we have that in upstate NY ) I think they get it from Canada.. It costs about $.75-$1.00 more than premium unleaded with 10% ethanol. I still put in a stabilizer. I pump up the tires to about 44 lbs to help warn off the flat spots.. Wash and wax and couple Bounce dryer sheets in each of the trunk and cabin.. I hook up the battery tender, and jack it up with 4 scissor jacks just a little (tires are still very much on the garage floor) to take a little weight off the tires and suspension.. It's usually about 4-6 turns of the jacks starting from when the jacks are touching the jack up points of the car.. I cover it and there she sets for the winter.. If we do get a decent day, I will pull it out every 4-6 weeks just to let it idle for 15-20 minutes.. Just to send oil and fluids around the seals etc.. I have an attached garage with a heater in to..I keep the garage at 42-44F degrees..

BTW the other reason I put the hard top back on for the few days in the spring when it's nice I will drive with the hard top on. when it's in the 40"s and 50's . Also the real reason is to get it from taking up space in the garage.. :)

Then I wait for spring

Steve

I used to hafta hunt all over Central Florida for ethanol-free gas. I buy it for my mowers and other equipment. I could usually find it at marine shops--they called it "boat fuel". Then Wawa moved into Central Florida, and their stations have one dedicated pump with ethanol-free. And it's only a little more than regular. Not sure if the Wawas in PA and elsewhere have it . . .

I used to hafta hunt all over Central Florida for ethanol-free gas. I buy it for my mowers and other equipment. I could usually find it at marine shops--they called it "boat fuel". Then Wawa moved into Central Florida, and their stations have one dedicated pump with ethanol-free. And it's only a little more than regular. Not sure if the Wawas in PA and elsewhere have it . . .

Most places around central New York will carry only 91 octane non ethanol fuel.. And again as you said, I think you can get it at marinas also. I don't have a boat.. Because we are near so many lakes and rivers (finger lakes, Lake Ontario etc) I always see the weekend boaters pulling up to thr gas stations with thier fishing boats on trailers, seadoos, not to mention snowmobiles in the winter.. The ethanol free gas keeps moisture, water at bay, and keeps the gasoline from separating from the ethanol during storage. I also buy it for my small engine tools, such as my lawn more and snow blower.. We have a new Byrne Dairy convenience store that was just built in our neighborhood thier pumps have both ethanol in 87, 89, 91 octane and 87, and 90 octane non-ethanol pumps. Why 90 I don't know.. The gas station up the road has 91 ethanol free.. Would I noticed a difference in the t-bird one octane point.. Would I hear knocking? Don't know, but the owners manual says 91 octane so I am sticking with that.. Also is it really 91 and 90 octane? Oh my healthy sceptisism is now kicking in..

Just went up to that Byrne Dairy to get some regular non-ethanol flavor gas for the edger and leaf blower and I actually looked at the prices.. The price of non-ethanol gas was only $.20 more the the ethanol flavored of the same octane level.. So that $.75 - $1.00 per gallon that I reported earlier was I guess, fake news.. I know at marinas around here it is much higher.. But that's fuel in general and almost anything that has marine in the name..

The price of non-ethanol gas was only $.20 more the the ethanol flavored of the same octane level.. So that $.75 - $1.00 per gallon that I reported earlier was I guess, fake news..

Actually being able to buy 100% gasoline for less than 10% more that ethanol would be the fake news. 100% gas is always significantly higher.

P.S. Here is a list of pure gas stations- https://www.pure-gas.org

How did this work ? I have a 2002 as well in Michigan and am looking for way to keep it away from mice.

I've been taking the battery out of my 2005 when I store it for the winter. Right after getting it out of storage last winter (2018/2019) I found that the memory for the steering wheel did not work and the manual controls for it worked intermittently. This year, after I installed the battery, the alarm went off which I shut with the key fob then when I opened the drivers side door the alarm went off again and I used the fob to kill it. Then the vehicle would not start, it would turn over but just kept grinding. I threw my code reader on with the ignition in the on position and found it threw a P2107 code (generic throttle body fault). I left the kay in the on position while I jacked around on the internet looking for possible answers to the code. Before I gave up I tried to start the car and it fired right up and ran as smooth as ever. In the future I will use a battery tender and I know about fixing the windows & tranny shifting issues after battery removal but I think my steering wheel memory is related to these electrical ghosts that I invited in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m interested in getting a 2002-2005 T-Bird but live in a northern state and it would have to live outdoors over winter. Not sure if I’d store it or need to use it intermittently. Wondering whether there would unavoidable problems due to the cold - to the fabric, to the hydraulic pumps, like for the soft top, for the ??? Can problems be avoided by winter prep? Thank you. Dave

If you could put it under a carport it would be much better than just covering it I’ve found after many years of motorcycle and car ownership covering them is a double edge sword as in my opinion it invites rodent infestation I keep mine inside but usually don’t cover it except for a couple California king size bedsheets if I just cleaned it and don’t want dust on it I never cover the bikes mice are really motivated

Back