1960 Sudden transmission leak

jpannier

jpannier

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Bought my bird one week ago and no transmission leak. Drove about 20 miles to a restaurant for lunch yesterday. Then this morning I backed it out of the garage and found a large puddle of transmission fluid on the floor. Pulled it back in and left it there for several hours. Pulled it back out and no leak. Checked the transmission fluid and found it is over filled. Can't really see where the leak came from. Drove it around the neighborhood for a bit and pulled it back in. It's been sitting there for about an hour and no leak. Any thoughts??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If it was overfull, and you drove 20 miles it may have pushed fluid out the overflow. 20 mile drive would have been enough to heat the fluid up and possible push it out the overflow. Just driving out of the garage then back in not enough time. You could get a small siphon to remove extra fluid.

If it was overfull, and you drove 20 miles it may have pushed fluid out the overflow. 20 mile drive would have been enough to heat the fluid up and possible push it out the overflow. Just driving out of the garage then back in not enough time. You could get a small siphon to remove extra fluid.
That's sort of what i was thinking when I checked the dip stick. That 20 mile drive was the farthest I have taken it so far. Where exactly is the overflow?

The overflow is on top of the transmission towards the front, maybe a few inches from the bell housing. If you used a small mirrow you might be able to see it.

Don't forget to checj your pil with engine hot, running, in Park (and hand brake).

Back