Ford Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal electronic conversion kits & LED upgrades

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Extensive research has been put into the choosing of proper connectors, gauge of wires, industrial grade connectors and electronic components. All aspects of the manufacturing process from design to testing are overseen by an electronic engineer with over 25 years of experience as a result these units the most robust and reliable units on the market.

Cougars Unlimited manufactures turn signal systems for 1965-1971 Thunderbirds. Since 1981 Cougars Unlimited has been the source for the electronic sequencers used to replace the outdated and failure-prone mechanical motor driven turn signal sequencers.

PURCHASE LINKS BELOW

Sequential Turn Signal Incandescent Electronic Conversion kit -

1964 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent
1965 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent
1966 Early Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent (Car made before 11/17/1965)
1966 Late Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent (Car made after 11/17/1965)
1967 Early Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent (Car made before 1/16/1967)
1967 Late Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent (Car made after1/16/1967)
1968 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent without stop lamp
1968 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit Incandescent with optional stop lamp in rear window - Incandescent
1969 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent & Directional Relay (Car made before 10/14/1968)
1969 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent (Car made after10/14/1968)
1970 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent
1971 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - Incandescent

LED Turn Signal Conversion Kits

1964 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - LED (Requires these 8 Plasma LED Bulbs)
1965 Thunderbird Plasma LED Conversion Kit (bulbs included)
1966 Thunderbird Plasma LED Conversion Kit (bulbs included)
1967 Thunderbird Plasma LED Conversion Kit (bulbs included)
1968 LED Conversion Kit (bulbs included)
1969 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - LED (Requires these 8 Plasma LED Bulbs)
1970 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - LED (Requires these 8 Plasma LED Bulbs)
1971 Thunderbird Sequential Turn Signal Conversion kit - LED (Requires these 8 Plasma LED Bulbs)

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you have any videos of the LED conversions please send it to me along with your model year of car. Thanks!

I bought a 66 friday, drove her home 650 miles. my question is does anyone have experience with the solid state sequencer packs being offered? the originals partially work and I find they've been heavily rigged up in questionable ways. I'm looking to fix/restore the system to excellent working order. also does any one have thoughts on LED tail lights?

I have the pack and put it in about eight years ago. It was easy to install and has been trouble-free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 66 friday, drove her home 650 miles. my question is does anyone have experience with the solid state sequencer packs being offered? the originals partially work and I find they've been heavily rigged up in questionable ways. I'm looking to fix/restore the system to excellent working order. also does any one have thoughts on LED tail lights?
The seller above has 2800 feedbacks on ebay and Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 100%. Also, been around for over 25 years.

I'm getting conflicting advice on converting to LED tail/brake light on my '65 Bird. Questions seem to be:
1. Do these LEDs show enough difference in brightness between tail and brake lighting?
2. Should I use red LEDs to match the Tbird red lenses?
3. Will I have problems with signal frequency because of the lower voltage requirement?

Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks, Joe

I'm getting conflicting advice on converting to LED tail/brake light on my '65 Bird. Questions seem to be:
1. Do these LEDs show enough difference in brightness between tail and brake lighting?
2. Should I use red LEDs to match the Tbird red lenses?
3. Will I have problems with signal frequency because of the lower voltage requirement?

Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks, Joe
You might as well get the kit that overhauls the everything- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_...teid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Thanks. Nice to know these kits exist.

The link for the 1965 kit goes to the 1964 unit on ebay and states that it is only for 1964. Is there a kit for 1965?

Thanks - again!

Hey everyone. Can anyone who has installed one of Vic's units get me started in the right direction? I've looked through this and other forums and many have installed these and swear by them, but no one gives any details on the installation process. If this has been detailed somewhere and I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

I ordered one of these for my 1964 and it came today. The instructions are pretty generic, but I can figure it out. What I don't know is where to locate the wires that I need to tap into for both to and from the box. I assume the output to the rear lights will be in the trunk, but where is the best place to access the wires that will need to feed into the new sequence box? Where have people mounted the box?

Any and all tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey everyone. Can anyone who has installed one of Vic's units get me started in the right direction? I've looked through this and other forums and many have installed these and swear by them, but no one gives any details on the installation process. If this has been detailed somewhere and I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

I ordered one of these for my 1964 and it came today. The instructions are pretty generic, but I can figure it out. What I don't know is where to locate the wires that I need to tap into for both to and from the box. I assume the output to the rear lights will be in the trunk, but where is the best place to access the wires that will need to feed into the new sequence box? Where have people mounted the box?

Any and all tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
The two control wires you need to tap into (green/white and white/blue) are located under the dash on the turn signal switch connector.

These wires can be run over to the driver's kick panel and run under the door sill plate, under the rear quarter window and into the trunk to the control unit. Routing this wire requires removing the door sill plate, kick panel, rear panel and the rear seat. Another path to the trunk is along the original harness which runs under the console/carpet and under the rear seat.

The OEM flasher needs to be replaced with the electronic unit provided in the kit. It is located behind the LH air vent. It uses a ground wire that must be attached to the body. On cars equipped with a emergency flasher system, this flasher (located behind the passenger kick panel should be replaced with an electronic flasher, D0WY-13350-L. BTW: I recommend using LEDs for this conversion as they are brighter and use much less current.

The sequential control unit can be mounted vertically, on the rear tail light panel near the trunk latch support bracket.

The existing tail light harness (orange/blue and green/orange) wires are tapped into and spliced onto the matching pigtail wires provided in the kit.

I have a customer who is currently performing this conversion. I've asked him to send me some pictures of his progress.
These pictures will be used to update the instructions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

I just purchased a new turn signal switch for my 64,it says to use low wattage bulbs or LEDs I’ve been reading on some posts on internet saying leds don’t work on some old cars has anyone or is anyone using LEDs on their taillights ?

Back