1957 Hub caps coming lose while moving

baby bird

baby bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Was wondering if any one has made or purchased a device to keep hub caps from flying off while driving. I was thinking of making a unit to go behind the lug nuts with a small bolt on it to attach to the center of the cap wit a small cap nut

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I was having the same problem. Chased down a wheel cover or two several times. I pulled them off when painting the wheels body color and had a devil of a time getting them to go on and stay on. I discovered that while the spring tabs were tight the little finger tabs that actually grip the wheel were bent in and not getting any bite. Took some pliers and bent them out. WOW they went on easily and you could tell when finishing setting them with a rubber mallet there was no longer the drum sound but a solid thud as they seated. They don't make any noise and stay tight. Take a look and I'm sure you will see the issue. Simple fix especially with radial tires, the covers now flex with the wheel that radials tend to do.

Thanks for the reply. I have done that now. Have not had a chance to drive it again. Trans had a leak and had to pull the engine to fix it. Almost done.

I had this problem on my 60 Bird - hubcaps would fly off while driving. Do you have radial tires mounted to your original steel wheels that came with the car?
This could be the culprit. I heard about a decade ago on line that there was a trick to mounting your hubcaps so that they do not fall off. Your idea might possibly work.

I had this problem on my 60 Bird - hubcaps would fly off while driving. Do you have radial tires mounted to your original steel wheels that came with the car?
This could be the culprit. I heard about a decade ago on line that there was a trick to mounting your hubcaps so that they do not fall off. Your idea might possibly work.
Yes, Original wheels with radials. I was able to pound out a dent in the center cone on one of the rear covers. When it came off the fender skirt dented it. A pall peen hammer on some towels to cushion. Can't even tell it was dented. Trust me the serrated fingers are key to keep them on. They used to rotate a bit pinching the valve extensions and it cured that too.

Thanks for the reply. I have done that now. Have not had a chance to drive it again. Trans had a leak and had to pull the engine to fix it. Almost done.
Solution: Remove the hub caps, wash/degrease the rims, lightly paint the rim area where the hubcaps touch.... while wet, replace the hubcaps. the hubcaps will now stay on.

When you are ready to install the hubcap,,inspect the inner rim of the hubcap to ensure that the contact patches are aligned.. Then, PAINT the inner rim with matching paint.. use a brush and just wipe it on... Then, align the valve stem and install your hubcaps carefully. Wait 30 minutes for the paint to dry. and your problem will be solved. note: using the matching body paint color, paint the rim edges to match the body color.... Note,,, have your tires balanced without having weights on the Outside... Any good balance shop can do that and it will look nice and clean.
Mark,, Austin, Texas ,,, 57 D Model

The hubcaps on my 64 used to rotate badly to the point that they pushed the valve stems almost to a 45 degree angle. I tried bending the spring teeth out more to get better grip. Didn't help. The tip I heard and tried was to put silicone glue along the rim where those teeth grip. That cured the rotation, don't know if it would cure them flying off. Like others I have heard that radial tires put more stress on the wheels causing them to flex more which makes hubcaps come off. Attached is an analysis of the problem.
19329_014c75c63d8e41fb8a3725f5161e1756_1.jpg19329_014c75c63d8e41fb8a3725f5161e1756_2.jpg19329_014c75c63d8e41fb8a3725f5161e1756_3.jpg19329_014c75c63d8e41fb8a3725f5161e1756_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MarkN, if you install the hubcaps while the paint is still wet, what are you going to do when it's time to remove them?

By the way, this seems to be a problem limited to the full-size hubcaps/wheel covers. It's not a problem for the small dog-dish/poverty caps.

When you are ready to install the hubcap,,inspect the inner rim of the hubcap to ensure that the contact patches are aligned.. Then, PAINT the inner rim with matching paint.. use a brush and just wipe it on... Then, align the valve stem and install your hubcaps carefully. Wait 30 minutes for the paint to dry. and your problem will be solved. note: using the matching body paint color, paint the rim edges to match the body color.... Note,,, have your tires balanced without having weights on the Outside... Any good balance shop can do that and it will look nice and clean.
Mark,, Austin, Texas ,,, 57 D Model
You know, that's a good point. I used to sell and mount Goodyear tires in my 30's. Even then the balance machines would recommend inside or outside mounting of the weights but it's easier to mount them on the outside. Then we had the 'stick-on' weights for the inside of the the aluminum wheels.
We are not driving high performance machines but cruisers. It's really good advice for somebody who is having their tires serviced. Yah I cursed a little bit getting my wheel covers to seat behind the outside weights.

A member of our club drove his Tbird/w radial tires mounted on OEM rims to Washington and back without issue. However, the condition is everything. Carefully inspect the condition of the OEM rims, particularly the rivets, before putting them into service, regardless of whether they ride on bias plies or radials.

Back