Screws for Hardtop 2002

Keylargofun

Keylargofun

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi thank you for having me in the group I'm picking up a used 2002 next week from a wholesaler I need to find screws for hardtop just getting 2002 seller has no screws for the hardtop is it safe to drive?

Any idea thread type size for temp fix to drive home the vehicle? The hardtop appears to be on tight but I will need to get on the interstate for about a hundred miles to bring the vehicle home without any of the front screws not sure if that's safe? I'm not been able to find anything on the internet I was hoping there was a temporary boat that I could get from Home Depot if anybody knew the size and thread I do not have the vehicle in front of me right now thank you for your help Tom

Welcome to the blog Key...

....I cannot stress this too strongly...do NOT try to drive the car 100 miles at speed with the top bolts missing or loose. The cam latches at the rear aren’t designed to secure the top against wind that might get under the front edge...it wouldn’t take much to lift the thing and since it’s composite, you’ll probably ruin the top and “sprain” the attachment points beyond repair.

That said, what makes you think the bolts are missing at the front? If you cannot lift it from inside where it attaches at the windshield header, it’s most likely bolted down. The bolts are designed to stay in place with the hardtop off. I’m attaching pics of mine with hard top off. Notice they can be pushed down into the header so the soft top can be latched into place. But they do not come out the bottom....or at least they shouldn’t. Also pic of the factory tool for the bolts...torx...and easy to find replacement if yours is missing,

Attachments

• AA96F08D-6582-4715-B761-054A8C1153A8.jpeg
    AA96F08D-6582-4715-B761-054A8C1153A8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 7483CC99-F6A8-4038-A7B4-17F7108400EC.jpeg
    7483CC99-F6A8-4038-A7B4-17F7108400EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • DD814843-AB92-41E6-8F8A-CF1D8D2AF224.jpeg
    DD814843-AB92-41E6-8F8A-CF1D8D2AF224.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to the blog Key...

....I cannot stress this too strongly...do NOT try to drive the car 100 miles at speed with the top bolts missing or loose. The cam latches at the rear aren’t designed to secure the top against wind that might get under the front edge...it wouldn’t take much to lift the thing and since it’s composite, you’ll probably ruin the top and “sprain” the attachment points beyond repair.

That said, what makes you think the bolts are missing at the front? If you cannot lift it from inside where it attaches at the windshield header, it’s most likely bolted down. The bolts are designed to stay in place with the hardtop off. I’m attaching pics of mine with hard top off. Notice they can be pushed down into the header so the soft top can be latched into place. But they do not come out the bottom....or at least they shouldn’t. Also pic of the factory tool for the bolts...torx...and easy to find replacement if yours is missing,
Thank you so much I have seen those tools available on ebay I thought there was a screw or bolt that tool used and then inserted into the hardtop it appears from what you're showing the screw or bolt is permanently recessed on the car and you need that tool to push it up and lock it down, now I'm really considering picking it up Monday to drive it back to Tampa as I don't think they have that tool I'm not sure if something like that could be picked up at Home Depot or if a flat head or Phillips head would temporarily get some of the threads that connect? It looks like from pictures I took of the car I might have the bolt recessed in one of the pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-172721_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-172721_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210515-172730_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-172730_Gallery.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Thank you so much I have seen those tools available on ebay I thought there was a screw or bolt that tool used and then inserted into the hardtop it appears from what you're showing the screw or bolt is permanently recessed on the car and you need that tool to push it up and lock it down, now I'm really considering picking it up Monday to drive it back to Tampa as I don't think they have that tool I'm not sure if something like that could be picked up at Home Depot or if a flat head or Phillips head would temporarily get some of the threads that connect? It looks like from pictures I took of the car I might have the bolt recessed in one of the pictures
Glad to help. This blog has been invaluable to me since I got my car last September. I very much recommend the 29$ life time membership.

You Can certainly get a replacement tool off eBay, but if you have a Lowe’s/Home Depot/ harbor freight close by, pick up a variety pack of torx screw drivers 6-8 inches long, less than $10, to get you through Monday pickup. You’ll be glad you did. Then follow the top on/off process outlined in the cd that came with the car, or read the “lots of noise” post below for proper procedure. The top weighs 83 lbs so be careful cause it’s incredibly awkward to hold and lean in to get the back part in place. I recommend two people to hold, and one more as a spotter until you get comfortable doing it. Like most folks, mine comes off in the spring, goes on the rack in the garage and back on the car late fall. Where you are you might not want to put it on ever again once you get it home.

But first chance you get, check the three under car X braces. Torque to 44lbft. Your mechanic or tire store can put it on a lift to do it for you if you don’t own a torque wrench, but less than 30$ from Amazon. My brace bolts were loose and tightening made a world of difference in how it drove, especially with hard top off. With the top down, it felt like it’d fold in half when I hit a big bump. Birds have quirks so don’t expect something 20 years old to be perfect.

Glad to help. This blog has been invaluable to me since I got my car last September. I very much recommend the 29$ life time membership.

You Can certainly get a replacement tool off eBay, but if you have a Lowe’s/Home Depot/ harbor freight close by, pick up a variety pack of torx screw drivers 6-8 inches long, less than $10, to get you through Monday pickup. You’ll be glad you did. Then follow the top on/off process outlined in the cd that came with the car, or read the “lots of noise” post below for proper procedure. The top weighs 83 lbs so be careful cause it’s incredibly awkward to hold and lean in to get the back part in place. I recommend two people to hold, and one more as a spotter until you get comfortable doing it. Like most folks, mine comes off in the spring, goes on the rack in the garage and back on the car late fall. Where you are you might not want to put it on ever again once you get it home.

But first chance you get, check the three under car X braces. Torque to 44lbft. Your mechanic or tire store can put it on a lift to do it for you if you don’t own a torque wrench, but less than 30$ from Amazon. My brace bolts were loose and tightening made a world of difference in how it drove, especially with hard top off. With the top down, it felt like it’d fold in half when I hit a big bump. Birds have quirks so don’t expect something 20 years old to be perfect.
Amazing thank you and yes we'll have to join this group first I got to get the vehicle home to me but I will definitely go pick up those but you describe to bring to this used car dealer as I don't think they have them and I don't want to drive it now that you've explained it to me I have seen some YouTube how they were screwing or unscrewing something there are so when the salesman's put the top on and said that's all I needed I was very hesitant said no I think there's some missing screws up front LOL at this point I think it's only been driven locally with the top that way but I don't want to bring it home on the interstate thank you again for the help and I will also have that item checked once I get the car home

There is bound to be someone on this forum who lives nearby and could meet you to verify that the top is on securely, and could show you the tool you need to secure the hardtop. How about it, guys, anyone available? Even if you no longer own a Retro Bird, I'm sure you remember how to do the installation. Harbor Freight has a Pittsburgh 6pc Torx wrench set for $12.99, it's what I bought.FYI, Hopefully the soft top is in great shape,since if you live somewhere temperate (I'm in El Paso TX) you will only be keeping this top on until you get home; after that, get a stand and park the top somewhere safe. You won't want to put the hardtop on again until you sell it...Have fun!

Hi thank you for having me in the group I'm picking up a used 2002 next week from a wholesaler I need to find screws for hardtop just getting 2002 seller has no screws for the hardtop is it safe to drive?

Any idea thread type size for temp fix to drive home the vehicle? The hardtop appears to be on tight but I will need to get on the interstate for about a hundred miles to bring the vehicle home without any of the front screws not sure if that's safe? I'm not been able to find anything on the internet I was hoping there was a temporary boat that I could get from Home Depot if anybody knew the size and thread I do not have the vehicle in front of me right now thank you for your help Tom
Message this guy on eBay, says he has the screws and tool in this listing description.

Last edited:
If you can't push up on the hardtop with your palm in area where it bolts down then the top is on tight. I've been taking mine off and on since 04 and I always double check after I've tightened with the tool by try pushing up. Where are you picking it up from? South of Tampa?

Back