1976 c6 transmission rebuild/replace?

UneasyRider76

UneasyRider76

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New member and new tbird owner here. I got a 76 recently and the trans went out. I'm looking into replacing it with a more heavy duty trans, a TCI street fighter or something along those lines able to handle around 600hp, but I can't find any good info on which one would actually fit my car. One said it would fit a 75, are there any big differences between those years? Would I be better off pulling my trans out and beefing it up myself?
Also there's a nice 70-71 cobra jet c6 for sale near me, would that fit?
Any info on replacing or rebuilding a 76 c6 would be appreciated!

Whether the trans will fit your car depends on which engine you have. The bell housing pattern is different from the F/E (390-428) 385 series (429-460) and the small blocks. There is also a difference in the torque converter sometime after '72 or so. The earlier ones have a larger but shallower centering button. ( Don't ask how I know).
What engine do you have?
Almost forgot the 351M and 400 use the 385 series bell housing.

Whether the trans will fit your car depends on which engine you have. The bell housing pattern is different from the F/E (390-428) 385 series (429-460) and the small blocks. There is also a difference in the torque converter sometime after '72 or so. The earlier ones have a larger but shallower centering button. ( Don't ask how I know).
What engine do you have?
Almost forgot the 351M and 400 use the 385 series bell housing.
My car has the 460

That is not a hard trans to come up with. You can do your own or even buy a ready to go performance unit from B&M.

C6 trans is a very good transmission which was usually paired to the 460 or 429 engine. It's able to handle the high torque they put down to the road. Also relativity easy to rebuild since they were pretty simple (for an automatic trans anyway). C6 however is only a 3 speed transmission. So remember that if you do plan on getting one. Also I think the bell housing is different between the 460 big block and a small block 351 engine.

Back