1957 Oil Filter conversion

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently converted my cartridge type oil filter to a spin on type and can‘t stop the oil from leaking around the plate that the oil filter mounts to...are there any secrets to fixing this?

I recently converted my cartridge type oil filter to a spin on type and can‘t stop the oil from leaking around the plate that the oil filter mounts to...are there any secrets to fixing this?
From my experience you remove the cartridge AND the plate. The rubber gasket on the spin-on should be against the block. Lubed up of course before you spin it on.

I installed one on my car and the rubber gasket behind the plate was completely destroyed by the oil. Must have been some kind of chemical reaction. Replaced it with a hardware store gasket and has never leaked a drop since.
Tom

Thanks for the suggestions, I thought the gasket behind the plate was pretty weak? I’ll see how changing that gasket will help!

The gasket that comes with the original type of oil filter cartridge canister is thicker and when used with the adaptor plate provides a better seal, at least it did on my car.
Jim Yergin

I’m using a WIX 51004, is there a filter with a larger base that may fit the plate better? Appreciate all suggestions!

One of the mistakes that installers make in doing the conversion is over tightening the the bolt that holds the plate.

I think the proper filter Wix replacement is 51515. This should reference to FL 1A (Ford filter)

I think the original poster miss typed the model year. I know of no '57s that didn't have the spin-on filter. Mine is an early '57 with some of the front end parts from '57 to use up their inventory. along with vacuum line changes.

I am having the same problem. I did not convert but it’s leaking

Back