2003 PO442 Engine code Small leak in evap system

E
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 2003 Ford Thunderbird, and the check engine light is on. I have taken it to my local mechanic and he is telling the code states a small leak in the evap system. I took it also to my local Advance Auto Parts store and they too, verified the code PO442 as a small leak in the evap system. I have changed out the gas cap as this is the first and most common place to start but it did not solve the problem. The light can be turned off but will come back on in a few days. I have also looked on line and typed in the code and there seems to be several other parts that could be the cause of the problem. First of all I don't want to just start changing parts and second of all location of the various parts is a problem, I can't seem to find the evap canister, or the associated other parts.
The engine idles very smooth, and I haven't noticed any significant consumption of fuel.
Has anyone else had this problem with their bird? And also if anyone has a sigmatic of the location of the parts can it be posted in an answer so that I could check to see if my problem may be a cracked hose or loose hose connection.
Thank you,
EH2653
Palm Coast, FL

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the purge valve and the canister located?
I would like to check those items out.
Thank you
EH2653
Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy a Service DVD. It shows you the same stuff the mechanics have access to at the dealership.

Last edited:
Thanks Biddle, I just ordered the disk. There were a lot of various ones to choose from I went for the one from Ford at $12.95. It stated that 490 people had purchased this one. Well see.

I have seen that warning for a couple of years now with the warning light coming on every 8 weeks or so now.. I did have the smoke test but nothing was found. So I decided to live with it and simply reset the light.

I did have the smoke test but nothing was found. So I decided to live with it and simply reset the light.
Did you replace or clean the purge valve? It will cause that problem but is not neccesarily a leak.

Where can you get a smoke test done at? Is it something that requires special equipment?

What is entailed with doing a smoke test?

I had/have the same code, with the small leak in the evaporative line. The lines bare above the fuel tank and so the fix would be to drop the fuel tank and replace the lines. I am sure it is not that of an easy chore to do or pay a mechanic a good sim to get it done. Now have you noticed that after you reset the code with an OBD, once your gas tank goes near half a tank the light will come back on? I keep my gas tank above 1/2 full and the check light has not come on since I discovered the trick. It does not make the small leak go away but the check light will not drive you crazy. I understand there is no danger of fumes from the leak and the engine still runs normally.

Thanks for the info Issyro, I will fill the tank and reset the ck eng light and watch to see when it comes back on.
In the mean time I am waiting to get my shop disc that Biddle recommended to see how difficult it may be to locate some of the parts associated with the evap system including dropping of the fuel tank.

Hi EH,
A friend of mine had the same code and it turned out to be a pinhole in the gas tank. The only way they found it was a smoke test. Had to have the tank repaired. Apparently this is not rare with the cars. Any good shop should be able to do a smoke test for you. A DIY smoke test cans are avail on EBay and they work just fine. Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube or anyone else using one of these DIY smoke testers. They're around $35 on EBay.
-cdf912

Hi EH,
A friend of mine had the same code and it turned out to be a pinhole in the gas tank. The only way they found it was a smoke test. Had to have the tank repaired. Apparently this is not rare with the cars. Any good shop should be able to do a smoke test for you. A DIY smoke test cans are avail on EBay and they work just fine. Watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube or anyone else using one of these DIY smoke testers. They're around $35 on EBay.
-cdf912
I see nothing for 35 bucks- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...Desc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=evap+smoke+machine+diy

Ok, I was off bit on the price but I do see one for $40, $50, $60, etc. Its the basic paint can DIY kit and it does the trick.
So basically they are 60.00 shipped. I was just asking about the 35.00 to make sure I was not overlooking something. I was able to get my smoke test done and replace evap canister for 300 bucks so it wouldn't have been worth my time to DIY and have an evap can sitting around for years.

Where can I buy One? I have looked everywhere and they say no one makes them anymore.

I was thing about that but it says it won't fit a 2002.

Anyone have one to sell? Or what is recommended for a replacement for a 2002.
Have you tried cleaning yours? Sometimes that works. There are videos on YT.

Our '03 t-bird with 54,000 miles started showing the check engine light. Auto zone gave me a printout stating a p0442 code - evaporative emission system leak. The suggested repair was to replace the cannister vent valve solenoid.

This is the first problem we have had since we bought the car 2 years ago. I noticed the check engine light today. I'm just now starting to research the possible problem and fix before throwing money at it.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site and I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
Mike

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Zip
Back