1955 6V Passenger Side Horn

SJ Barr
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings, my 6V passenger side horn is not working. The drivers side is working so I’m assuming it’s the horn and not a wiring issue. Does anyone know if the passenger side is the low pitch or high pitch horn? And if so is there a way to restore or rebuild it?

Thanks in advance.

SJ Barr
SLC, Ut

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

pg 44 - wiring harness installation.jpg Sometimes a horn can develop a little rust inside causing the vibrator mechanism to stick. First I would attach a jumper wire to it and try a light "rap" on it to see if it might start working. There isn't much to them so I should think it would work with a little "persuasion". Of course if it starts to work as soon as you connect a jumper wire then no "rap" would be necessary and you should check the wiring for good connections. Horn P/N 13832 (on the Passenger side) is the high pitch horn.

Last edited:
View attachment 3695 Sometimes a horn can develop a little rust inside causing the vibrator mechanism to stick. First I would attach a jumper wire to it and try a light "rap" on it to see if it might start working. There isn't much to them so I should think it would work with a little "persuasion". Of course if it starts to work as soon as you connect a jumper wire then no "rap" would be necessary and you should check the wiring for good connections. Horn P/N 13832 (on the Passenger side) is the high pitch horn.

Awesome! I’ll give it a shot.
Thanks so much Steven!

Most of them also have a screw adjustment that you can mess with to free them up with power on them and you can change the pitch with this screw. Check it out as this sometimes breaks them loose to the point that they start working.

Most of them also have a screw adjustment that you can mess with to free them up with power on them and you can change the pitch with this screw. Check it out as this sometimes breaks them loose to the point that they start working.

Great info!

Thank you Dale!

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
Once again ford rod Steven comes through!
There is also a nice brake down
Great info!

Thank you Dale!
fordrodsteven
There is a good diagram on page #39 in the 1955-1957 Thunderbird Illustrations & Reference Manual (available at classictbirds.com) that shows the horn internals . Also on page 138 in the 1955 Ford Car Shop Manual there’s a description and test and adjustments section for the horns. I was told that my 55 horn will also work when I’m done converting it to 12 volt!? These original horns are most likely far superior to the new plastic ones. I know mine sound really nice!

Back