64 T bird Vacuum Reservoir Question

IndyTbird

IndyTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had to remove the vacuum reservoir to access the connections for the heater removal. I noticed when removing the vacuum lines that attach to the reservoir tank, the connector on the tank was loose and would spin around. I continued and checked to see if the reservoir tank would hold a vacuum, and of course it would not. To the best of my reallocation it should not leak and should be sealed and hold a vacuum.
My question is: Is the tank sealed and hold a vacuum or does the attach area for the hoses leak normally to control the a varying amount of vacuum? The shop manual does not seem to address the vacuum reservoir.

Any thoughts?

Thanks to the knowledge base, IndyTbird

Gotta be tight, no leak, or engine will run rough

Thank You 64ZCODE.............That is what I thought I remembered! When your a little older, I don't trust my memory as much. LOL Thanks

You're welcome, IndyTbird. I thought about it afterwards and there is one controlled vacuum leak, which is the PCV valve. So under certain vacuum conditions, it opens and scavenges fumes from the crankcase.

Thank again 64ZCODE, I will have to look for the PCV, I don't recall seeing it off hand. On the GM's they are usually in the valve covers. I will check it.

You're welcome, happy to help!

On my '64, the PCV valve is mounted on a bracket at the back of the engine block behind the carb. Should be a large diameter rubber vacuum line running to it, then from the PCV valve there is another short rubber vacuum line which then connects to a hard metal line which goes into the back of the block between the block and the firewall.

Doug

Doug,
You are correct, I had noticed that when I was looking at it while I was in that area, but it didn't register.
Finished the heater today, everything working as it should. By the way What type of wheels and tires are on your car?
I really like the look. I was in CA for about 30 years, but when I retired from flying couldn't afford to stay.
Take care. Wes

Hey Wes. Yeah, I really like the wheels and tires on my 64. The mags are American Mags and the tires are Cooper Cobra M+S P235/60R15. You can buy the tires for around $80 from Walmart or Summit and that may include delivery if memory serves. They track really nice and hold the road in the turns. They're wider than stock so the fender skirts can't be on the car, but that's fine with me, I'm not really into fender skirts. One other aspect of the "look" is that the aft ends of the back leaf springs are attached at the bottom rungs of the shackles, not the top rungs, which raises the rear of the car a few inches.

You're right about California. I was born here and have spent my life here so I guess I'm used to it! Or maybe I just don't know the difference? Where do you live now?

Also, was thinking about vacuum lines. If you think you may have a vacuum leak (for example, car idles rough and idle does not smooth out by adjusting idle mix screws), you can try plugging all the vacuum lines at the intake manifold and at the carb and see how the motor idles (but don't drive it, you won't have brakes to speak of). If it's still idling rough, then you may have an air leak in the carb itself. If the idle is smooth and OK, then hook up the vacuum lines one by one until you find the culprit.

Doug

Doug,
I lived in Orange County and was the chief pilot for an Air conditioning contractor, then the jet was sold to KUSI-TV in San Diego. I'm back in Indianapolis now where I grew up.

I have been going thru this T bird and correcting a lot of the items no one wanted to fix. It runs great and idles smooth. I did find a number of vacuum hoses disconnected. I will get it in descent shape...won't be a show car but a nice driver. Hope to finish the brake system this week and get it back on the ground.
Thanks for all your help and moral support. ;)

Wes

Hi Wes. OK, I have my mental image of you now, piloting your TBird into the clouds...

Like the Ford advertising said back in the day, we're not driving, we're Thunderbirding!

Doug

upload_2019-4-23_19-18-22.png

Doug,
Your the best..........LOL I have never seen that before, Thanks for making my day! :)

Wes

Back