Replacement tires 2004 Bird

I recently replaced the tires on my '02 T'Bird - nothing wrong with the Michelins on it except they were old. I went with Pirelli P7's in the 245/50R17 size. They are 1/2 inch taller, and 1/2 inch wider than stock, fit the original wheels just fine, and fit nicely in the fenderwells. The slightly larger diameter corrected my speedo at 70 mph - it now reads 70 when I'm doing 70 according to my GPS (the factory speedo calibration reads about 2mph fast, reading 70 when I was really only doing 68). The Pirelli's were rated higher than Michelins on the Tire Rack website. I am very pleased with my new tires. I also replaced my OE Firestone spare with the factory replacement Maxxis Temporary Spare tire.

Thanks to all, I replaced my 5 year old Good Year with the taller size -Pirelli Cinturado, over the Michelin . I showed the sales rep this post, because he said they won't fit. They are perfect for my garage queen.

I have a 2005 and upon purchase last summer put on Continental Pure Contact, 96V. Paid $720 installed.
I've used these tires on our Audi A6 and they handle great and are quiet on both cars.
I have to agree I replaced the tires on my 05 T-Bird with Continental Pure Contact tires and it made a big difference in the ride and handling.

Decided to upgrade to 235/55/R17 tires. Runs smoother with the larger tires. About .9 inch larger diameter, same width, half inch more sidewall, and 1.1 inch more circumference. Really pleased with the slightly larger tire.

What is a good choice on replacement tires for the Micheliens 235 50R 17?

My son sells tires n he said Goodyear has the best tires out there at this time. Just his opinion. Threebird

I was checking my tires last year and noticed they were nine year old Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 with plenty of tread left on them. Since I only drive my 2004 about 3,000 miles a year I was never going to wear them out. My daily driver is a 2016 Fusion with exactly the same tire size (235/50-17) and had Michelin Energy Saver AS tires with only 18,000 miles on them. So I switched them out and the 2004 runs quiet with good handling on the Energy tires and I can wear out the nine year old tires in a year or two on my Fusion.
Tires should be judged by AGE, not MILES. (The manufacturing date is in code on tire sidewall; Google it to decipher.) Beyond six years heat and aging have gotten to the tire, making it susceptible to sidewall cracking, blowout, tread separation, etc. Some national tire dealers will not mount or even remount a tire older than six years. The compact spare in my '04 Tbird was 14 years old when I purchased the car, so one of first things I did was buy a new spare from Maxxis. Second thing I had done was replace all suspension parts since rubber bushings, etc. had deteriorated from age.

My son sells tires n he said Goodyear has the best tires out there at this time. Just his opinion. Threebird
My son sells mutual funds and says his company's are the best; wanna buy some?

Any suggestions on a good brand for replacing all of the suspension wear items...ball joints, upper control arm, sway bar links, steering links, etc. -early? 2002
Prices range from ridiculously cheap to ridiculously expensive. I am also replacing the shocks. One of the white plastic/nylon? spring "perches", where the spring sits on the shock, is 90 gone. Are these also available and should I replace all 4 while it's apart?

He sells a dozen different brands...both domestic and imports...if your sons connections are comparable...sure I'll buy some.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone; just looking for humor anywhere we can find it in America these days.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone; just looking for humor anywhere we can find it in America these days.
No prob...show me some pics of your bird...here's mine. Threebird

Attachments

• 20190403_142538_Film3.jpg
    20190403_142538_Film3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20190403_150142_Film3.jpg
    20190403_150142_Film3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
I put BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2s (blackwall, black lettering) on my 2003. Excellent traction, high speed rating, attractive tread, and design reduces the chance of hydroplaning. It is a summer sport tire, but also comes in an all season style.
Installed American Classic (Coker Tire, Distributor) P235/55R17-1-3/4 White Wall: I guess I am just Old Fashion..

Attachments

• scan0002.pdf
    189.5 KB · Views: 1
Decided to change a few things, (seats, Exhaust[Borla] tint windows,PREMIUM SHIELD,(surface protection film) Tires, Pioneer AVH-600EX Radio+sat+camera+cd>> Still having FUN.....

Attachments

• IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 3
Ok Time for a tire discussion. I have been tasked with the RIGHT tire. The Michelin I bought before have been discontinued. Michelin Premier A/S have been recommended. Any thoughts or recommendations to make would be appreciated
Thanks ahead of time
debbieo

Ok Time for a tire discussion. I have been tasked with the RIGHT tire. The Michelin I bought before have been discontinued. Michelin Premier A/S have been recommended. Any thoughts or recommendations to make would be appreciated
Thanks ahead of time
debbieo
Couple of years ago I wanted to replace the OEM Michelins, looked at number of forums, and saw more than a few recommendations for the Cooper Zeon RS3-g (http://ca.coopertire.com/tires/cooper-zeon-rs3-g1) Went with 235/55/R17
I've been very happy with them

like your tires, many are discontinued or retooled and end up being different. it also depends on what you want from the tire. read the low star reviews and see if there are common complaints and decide if you can deal with them . usually its either they don't seem to grip, they are too loud. or they don't last long.go with a tire that fits your priorities. what makes some people like a tire might not be what you like

, and the tires better fill the wheelwells, too.I did a lot of reading and research, and landed on the Continental Contitrac Extreme Contact DWS 06. I'm not a high-speed kind of guy, so super-speed-rated tires were unnecessary, and thye usually have a short life, too. I went up a size, to 235/55/17 because I wanted to correct the speedometer which was reading faster than actual (per GPS) speed. It still reads slow, but within less than 1 mph off. The ride is very comfortable, and the grip is great. I am very satisfied with the ride, and the tires look great from the side,too. Not a fan of the super-skinny sidewall look. I read somewhere that the 235/55 was originally the size Ford planned on using. Can anyone confirm?

I recently replaced the tires on my '02 T'Bird - nothing wrong with the Michelins on it except they were old. I went with Pirelli P7's in the 245/50R17 size. They are 1/2 inch taller, and 1/2 inch wider than stock, fit the original wheels just fine, and fit nicely in the fenderwells. The slightly larger diameter corrected my speedo at 70 mph - it now reads 70 when I'm doing 70 according to my GPS (the factory speedo calibration reads about 2mph fast, reading 70 when I was really only doing 68). The Pirelli's were rated higher than Michelins on the Tire Rack website. I am very pleased with my new tires. I also replaced my OE Firestone spare with the factory replacement Maxxis Temporary Spare tire.
Hey I am also a Jeff lol. Could I ask you to share a pic of your bird with the 245/50r17's on it. I just ordered some of those and curious what they look like on a car. I will be gone on business and won't get to swap over until I get back on the 28th.
Thks in advance, Jeff S.

Back