2002 Feel like speed sensitive steering went out - heavy steering

S

Stromhawk60

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Was driving yesterday after 2 weeks of heavy rain here in TExas and at stop sign, felt like power steering had gone out because it got really "heavy" and stayed that way until I got home.

I've gone through all related threads here and see two paths to fix, according to others:

1. Most likely related to the FEM needed to be re-flashed / reprogrammed.

2. Pressure switch at power steering pump

There are zero other indications of FEM problem; everything seems to be working fine, so I'm not convinced the FEM needs a reflash.

But I don't know the role of the pressure switch nor understand how that might be related to my issue. Is there any thing else that perhaps send a speed signal to the FEM so it does the speed-sensitive steering?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Steering was the first thing I noticed when my FEM went bad. I also started going oil light warnings. Then I had a problem with the window drop. It got progressively worse with wipers and radio. All this happened over the course of six months. When the headlights went out at night, that was it. FEM replacement fixed them all.

There is more to it than just flashing the ROM. If the capacitors are going bad, flashing will not fix that. It will need to be replaced or repaired internally.

Same problem with my 2002! It was the pressure switch and luckily I have a honest mechanic and it turned out to be a cheap fix <$75.....

Who drives their Tbird in heavy rain anyway? LOL I think that is grounds for getting kicked out of the club. (VBG)

My radio doesn't work or has problems when there is significant moisture in the air. Works fine when it has been dry for a while, but when it is wet outside the radio "mute'" will come on then sometimes it will cycle between AM, FM1, FM2, CD, and repeat itself.

These are strange cars and seem to have a lot of "ghosts" in em. My Tbird is not my everyday driver so I would just park it and wait till dry weather if I were you and then see what happens.

Who drives their Tbird in heavy rain anyway? LOL I think that is grounds for getting kicked out of the club. (VBG)

My radio doesn't work or has problems when there is significant moisture in the air. Works fine when it has been dry for a while, but when it is wet outside the radio "mute'" will come on then sometimes it will cycle between AM, FM1, FM2, CD, and repeat itself.

These are strange cars and seem to have a lot of "ghosts" in em. My Tbird is not my everyday driver so I would just park it and wait till dry weather if I were you and then see what happens.
I drive mine in the rain. If the 10 day forecast has rain, I put the hard top on

Was driving yesterday after 2 weeks of heavy rain here in TExas and at stop sign, felt like power steering had gone out because it got really "heavy" and stayed that way until I got home.

I've gone through all related threads here and see two paths to fix, according to others:

1. Most likely related to the FEM needed to be re-flashed / reprogrammed.
Perform OBDII MODILE TEST look for Error code c19258
2. Pressure switch at power steering pump

There are zero other indications of FEM problem; everything seems to be working fine, so I'm not convinced the FEM needs a reflash.

But I don't know the role of the pressure switch nor understand how that might be related to my issue. Is there any thing else that perhaps send a speed signal to the FEM so it does the speed-sensitive steering?
Look for error code c1925.
Run. OBDII module test. Look for code c1925

Great news - much rather try this than pull and send a FEM away. Thanks for responding.
Odds are that the connection corrosion was knocked off when the power steering solenoid was unplugged and a new solenoid was installed.
Check the old solenoid with an OhmMeter and you might find it is OK.
Of course the mechanic could not put the part back in stock.
Ford charged me $450 for replacing the solenoid. They would not give me the old one.
Still waiting for the new FEM. I am pretty sure my old solenoid was OK. Ford just throws parts at it until it is fixed, maybe.

My 03 bird steering is pretty tight which is a good thing not drives solid and perfectly straight. Only thing that bothers me is a little bit of a squeaky sounds while turning at stop or low speeds wondering if there is anything to do to smoothen this out or make less noise maybe a grease fitting or two that have not been greased good enough thanks and let me know any suggestions

My 03 bird steering is pretty tight which is a good thing not drives solid and perfectly straight. Only thing that bothers me is a little bit of a squeaky sounds while turning at stop or low speeds wondering if there is anything to do to smoothen this out or make less noise maybe a grease fitting or two that have not been greased good enough thanks and let me know any suggestions
Just search on steering. Lots of other threads that deal with the issue you're describing.

Back