Coil springs installation on my 55 thunderbird someone

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m almost ready to install my front suspension on my 55 thunderbird. The chassis is stripped bare and I’m hoping someone can help me with the procedure for compressing the coil springs.

I’m almost ready to install my front suspension on my 55 thunderbird. The chassis is stripped bare and I’m hoping someone can help me with the procedure for compressing the coil springs.
The shock comes out from the bottom, id suggest using clamps to slightly compress your coils to get them in place. Tie them off with straps. Then jack the lower A arm up into position to bolt up your shocks.
Disclaimer... haven't tried this. But it would be the way id start

The shock comes out from the bottom, id suggest using clamps to slightly compress your coils to get them in place. Tie them off with straps. Then jack the lower A arm up into position to bolt up your shocks.
Disclaimer... haven't tried this. But it would be the way id start
Thanks Tater

Rent or buy a manual coil spring compressor Be safe and do it the right way.

Coil springs are very dangerous people have been killed by then don't chance it!

I agree with the dangerous comments! Please be cautious.
I’m in a similar situation in that my frame is bare and not able to use a floor jack.
This won’t be for everyone but I’ve got an old Bridgeport mill and was able to compress the springs down to about 10”. I bent a pair of hooks from 1” flat bar to keep them compressed until they were installed. Once in place I ran some 5/8” threaded rod through the upper and lower shock mounts to further compress the springs to approximate ride height so that I can complete the front suspension/steering installation and to keep from crushing the upper rubber bump stop. This rod will be removed once the chassis is on the ground and I have weight in the suspension.

Birdman, that’s a very crafty way of compressing the springs! I don’t have your equipment but I have thought about using spring compressors and using threaded rods. Does a 5/8” rod fit through the holes? I’ll check my arms tonight to see the hole size. Also thanks to everyone that has responded to my posting. I know when to seek help and I assure everyone that I’ll do it safetly. I hopefully will have my chassis rolling soon.

I'll be interested in the response about compreeingg the cil springs, because I'll be doing the same in the future.

Another important thing to remember is that if you do not have the engine in the frame the springs will lift until the rubber bumpers up under the upper control arm get crushed. It will cause them to disintegrate. It is best to have threaded rod through the center (where the shocks mount) to hold it from travelling that far and ruining the bumpers.

4A439BA6-F717-4769-ACF4-8D07CB306F2F.jpeg F9CE82BB-7701-4ED9-81EB-FBF276743E8B.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Yes the 5/8” rod will fit thru the upper and lower shock mount/holes. And as member “Forfrodsteven” noted this was done to prevent the destruction os the rubber bump stops.
I added several flat washers under the nut on top to act as thrust bearings. Once greased, these will reduce friction when you are tightening up the rod.
I’ve included a pic of the hooks I made from 1/4”x 1” flat bar I used to keep the springs compressed during installation. They were a little try to remove.

Back