1971 429 how to change alternator belt

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Do I have to remove fan and pulleys? There seems to be limited tolerance between crank pulley and accessory pulleys to the point I can't squeeze the belt between. Looks llike previous owner tried as the belt is shredded.

Not sure. My alternator is two belts and it slips off with no effort. You can also take off the alternator if you need to. It’s not really that hard

getting it over the alternator is no issue. it's getting the belt past the very small clearance between the crank pulley and the accessory pulleys

I change my belts on my 68 - 429 with AC within 20 minutes....funny that it is so difficult on the 71... wish you luck !

getting it over the alternator is no issue. it's getting the belt past the very small clearance between the crank pulley and the accessory pulleys
Yeah. My A/C has long since been removed so its pretty simple to take it off now. Guess with the the extra pulleys its a bit of a PITA.

A/C is a must have here in Spain. In the summer time we get temperatures up to a 100 ...

I prefer this too, but sometimes its just to much heat.....also I like things in working condition

It usually runs around the crank shaft pulley, straight up around and over the top of the water pump pulley and around the alternator pulley. Take the tensioner bolt out to give you more clearance . Then put it back in when you pull the alternator back with a pry bar. It's not like a serentine belt that zig zags around every which way. straight shot

if it looks like this 429. you'll probably have to loosen the power steering pump bolts to get it around the tension-er pulley. See the nut on the very end of the steering pump bracket on the right of picture? There's a nut behind the bracket also. Unloosen the inner nut and back it off . Unloosen the top bolt & bottom bolt with the slot in it to move the steering pump pulley.Tighten up the nut on the outside of bracket to put tension back on the belt. Top black pulley on top of picture is an idler pulley with adjusting nut on the back of it. Put a 1/2 inch ratchet or breaker bar into the slot on the front to tighten the belt back up. If it's the pulleys between the water pump and crankshaft it might be a snug fit but it should go. If not just loosen the fan bolts just enough to let the pulley tilt just a bit to get the belt between them. GOOD LUCK. Keep me postedford 429.jpg

Thanks for the guidance. It is a 429 and my issue is the clearance between the pulleys on the fan shaft and the pulley on the crank. I'm going to pull the fan and pulleys and go that route.

Thanks for the guidance. It is a 429 and my issue is the clearance between the pulleys on the fan shaft and the pulley on the crank. I'm going to pull the fan and pulleys and go that route.
Just loosen up the bolts that go to the fan. You shouldn't have to take them all the way out. Just enough to swivel the pulley

Soooo how did it go? I’m having the same issue. Did you have to loosen up the fan bolts?

eh... whatever works. I myself plan to hot rod mine. So gotta get rid of all that shoot that takes power.
I have a ‘69 Galaxie and have stripped the non working A/C out of it to lose that unsightly excess weight. The compressor, radiator and associated hoses must weigh upwards of 100 pounds and I’d like to reduce weight of the old barge as much as I can.

I have a ‘69 Galaxie and have stripped the non working A/C out of it to lose that unsightly excess weight. The compressor, radiator and associated hoses must weigh upwards of 100 pounds and I’d like to reduce weight of the old barge as much as I can.
Hey if you need to remove more weight I know a place to get some reinforced chrome-moly tubular steel suspension links. I actually used some on my 69 tbird. It's pretty crazy how close the two are in terms of suspension setup.

Hey if you need to remove more weight I know a place to get some reinforced chrome-moly tubular steel suspension links. I actually used some on my 69 tbird. It's pretty crazy how close the two are in terms of suspension setup.
Sure, please let me know when you have a chance. Is it the steering linkage you’re referring to or control arms? Good to know these cars share some parts. The ‘69 Galaxie can be hard to find certain parts for. Thanks!

Thanks. BTW I have a lead for a company that makes lower control arms that increase steering caster to 4-5 degrees +. The specific application is for ‘68 Galaxie but perhaps they cover other years as well.

Thanks. BTW I have a lead for a company that makes lower control arms that increase steering caster to 4-5 degrees +. The specific application is for ‘68 Galaxie but perhaps they cover other years as well.
I would imagine so. Does the Galaxie use a single lower control arm with a strut tension rod going to the front of the frame?

Back