How to set the angle of the rear axle universal joint on my 55 Thunderbird

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would appreciate any help with re installing the rear axle on my 55 Thunderbird. In particular setting the angle on the universal joint and centering the axle to the frame.
I would also like to know what steps I should take to make sure the gearbox,bearings,etc. are ready to go when the rubber hits the road after not running for 45 years.

I would appreciate any help with re installing the rear axle on my 55 Thunderbird. In particular setting the angle on the universal joint and centering the axle to the frame.
I would also like to know what steps I should take to make sure the gearbox,bearings,etc. are ready to go when the rubber hits the road after not running for 45 years.
Good morning JDJ.
The shop manual doesn't specify an angle. It does walk you through differential overhaul. Id suggest ordering one, it's fairly handy to have.

if you are not making any kind of super drastic rear end changes or redesign (like going to four link suspension) you can just bolt the original rear right back into the car with the correct springs and hardware. There are pins and holes in the assemblies where the rear axle sits into the clips / cradles. Just bolt it back like original and it will be fine. Now, regarding a rebuild or restore of the axle and components (if you decide to go that way) it can be pretty daunting if you are not mechanically inclined. Get a book and follow the directions and you should be okay. I have an old Motor's manual and there is a whole section of the book dedicated to rear ends and rebuilding procedures.

Just clean things up and check for leaks. Replace oils and fluids. Transmission should be fine, rear differential should be fine. I would only check play and clearances in the differential a but probably change out axle bearings and seals and gaskets. need to make sure the clutch is okay (if you have a standard shift) and not rusted, stuck, frozen or broken. Probably should replace the throw out bearing. Check the shifter and linkages for worn bushings and slop.

Back