Question for those that updated their radios to large LCD display types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rusty_G
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My question is does your radio allow you to turn off or severely dim the display while on? My wife and I plan to take the Bird to the local Drive In movie theater frequently, so I don't want to have a radio that would be a distraction from actual movie. If yours does allow this, could you please identify the model and any other feedback you might have about it?
Thank you

My question is does your radio allow you to turn off or severely dim the display while on? My wife and I plan to take the Bird to the local Drive In movie theater frequently, so I don't want to have a radio that would be a distraction from actual movie. If yours does allow this, could you please identify the model and any other feedback you might have about it?
Thank you
My 6.2" Double 2 DIN Car DVD CD Video Player Bluetooth GPS Navigation Digital Touch Screen Car Stereo Radio Car PC 800MHZ CPU ! from Amazon for $129.00 has am/fm/gps/cd/backup cam/optional satellite radio/and mp3 with clock and 5 levels of dimming. I drive with the top down so I especially needed a bright screen. After buying three other models which proved unsatisfactory I am happy with this one.

61N+4ocvteL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a kenwood in mine not super dim or bright just average I guess . we did go to the drive in last summer and I don't recall the radio being a distraction at all and yes it was on to get the channel.I think just the call letters showed up

I've got a Kenwood DRX771HD in mine - the screen brightness is adjustable.
The annoying part is driving in the morning, the glare off the screen makes it almost impossible to see on a sunny day no matter what angle I set the faceplate to. I may start looking for anti-glare film to put over it.

Thank you
I have put larger screen aftermarket radio/cd/dvd players on all my cars or trucks and I can’t think of a model that does not allow for daytime or nighttime brightness running modes in the lower end models you may have to Manuel switch the modes in the higher end ones they will do it automatically by the time of day it is

I have put larger screen aftermarket radio/cd/dvd players on all my cars or trucks and I can’t think of a model that does not allow for daytime or nighttime brightness running modes in the lower end models you may have to Manuel switch the modes in the higher end ones they will do it automatically by the time of day it is
And most mid level or all high end one allow for you to move the angle of the screen as well depending on where the sun is to cut back on glare

After searching for a Bluetooth solution where I could keep the original radio I found many gadgets on the net and finally decided on Nulaxy KM24, a FM transmitter.
Nulaxy may have upgraded this one or added new models since I got mine in Sept - 18 so check their and other brands to compare.

BT stereo and phone through the car speakers. AUX inlet and SD-slot. It also has a USB charging outlet and a Volt-meter.
And with an on/off button so you know it is no risk it will draw current while plugged in but not used.

Easy, cheap, flexibel and functional.
// Stefan

My {6.2" Double 2 DIN Car DVD CD Video Player Bluetooth GPS Navigation Digital Touch Screen Car Stereo Radio Car PC 800MHZ CPU ! from Amazon for $129.00 has am/fm/gps/cd/backup caam/optional satellite radio/and mp3 with clock and 5 levels of dimming. I drive with the top down so I especially needed a bright screen. After buying three other models which proved un satisfactory I am happy with this one.
Thank you
That made in China with no support which I was so happy with, died after 6 months and was replaced by a Kenwood with support and Garmin GPS and free install ( and dimming). It is a little complex to store AM stations but otherwise satisfactory. Good Luck to you in choosing

After searching for a Bluetooth solution where I could keep the original radio I found many gadgets on the net and finally decided on Nulaxy KM24, a FM transmitter.
Nulaxy may have upgraded this one or added new models since I got mine in Sept - 18 so check their and other brands to compare.

BT stereo and phone through the car speakers. AUX inlet and SD-slot. It also has a USB charging outlet and a Volt-meter.
And with an on/off button so you know it is no risk it will draw current while plugged in but not used.

Easy, cheap, flexibel and functional.
// Stefan
Taurus, Wow, thanks for posting this. I just poked around AMZ and found they are up to the KM29 Pro version (but, no on/off switch, which you would want for our Retrobirds):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S92LHNL/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back