2002-2005: National Origin Of Engine ?

Skizix Savage

Skizix Savage

Mountain Shadow Gray Metallic Over Bright Tan
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We know that many parts including the engine are shared between like-year models of Thunderbird, Lincoln LS, and a Jaguar (then owned by Ford) sedan.

Question: In what nation was the manufacturer of our Bird’s engine? It isn’t out of the question to think that the engines may have been manufactured in Great Britain (or in any of the the MANY nations of the British Commonwealth where Ford doubtless has a significant presence.

I like to believe that our Birds’ engines have the growling heart of a swift and mighty Jaguar*! What say you? What is the verifiable TRUTH?

*USA citizens note: As Jaguar brand is a British product, it deserves the respect fitting an English citizen.

The British pronounce Jaguar as “JAG’ you-are.” It does NOT contain the words “wire” or “war!”

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The 3.9 we have is basically a shorter-stroked version of the 4.0 used in the Jaguar S-type ... rather than identifying the manufacturer nation of origin, I suspect you'll find that this was a joint-project engine that is built in both places since the Lincoln LS and Tbird were built here, where the S-type was built on the other side of the pond.

We know that many parts including the engine are shared between like-year models of Thunderbird, Lincoln LS, and a Jaguar (then owned by Ford) sedan.

Question: In what nation was the manufacturer of our Bird’s engine? It isn’t out of the question to think that the engines may have been manufactured in Great Britain (or in any of the the MANY nations of the British Commonwealth where Ford doubtless has a significant presence.

I like to believe that our Birds’ engines have the growling heart of a swift and mighty Jaguar*! What say you? What is the verifiable TRUTH?

*USA citizens note: As Jaguar brand is a British product, it deserves the respect fitting an English citizen.

The British pronounce Jaguar as “JAG’ you-are.” It does NOT contain the words “wire” or “war!”

Our engines were manufactured at the Ford Lima Ohio engine plant. I toured the plant in late 2003 and saw where they had added 75 feet to the engine line to accommodate the supercharger but it was canceled by then. The original engine design was indeed Jaguar but the casting was tweeked and jag heads or intake manifold will not fit on our blocks. Ford owned Jaguar at the time.

Hi Skizix,

Ditto everything above. The engine used in the Lincolns and Fords was a variant of the Jag engine. Here's the link with all of the details. The "3.9" information applies to the engine used in the LS and Thunderbird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine#3.9_L

I thank you responders with your truthful and insightful knowledge about our Lima engines. Kindly yours, Skizix

Back