Straight pipes on 2002-2005 Thunderbird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone just cut off the rear mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes? If so how does it sound?
Most modern cars would need to have a custom tune for the computer to idle and run properly.

There are performance upgrades in this thread.

Illegal, I would think.
Illegal? How, why?

Most modern cars would need to have a custom tune for the computer to idle and run properly.

There are performance upgrades in this thread.
I have done this modification to several of my cars, most modern car computers can compensate for such minor changes. I'm looking for someone who has done it and can tell me how it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone just cut off the rear mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes? If so how does it sound?
I just did it about a month ago to my '04. It will not bother the computer, it is not illegal and will still pass emission tests. I think I will go to some type of muffler though as this sound is a little raspy and can feel vibration at low speed. But it certainly made a difference in the sound.

I just did it about a month ago to my '04. It will not bother the computer, it is not illegal and will still pass emission tests. I think I will go to some type of muffler though as this sound is a little raspy and can feel vibration at low speed. But it certainly made a difference in the sound.
Thanks for the reply. I just recently heard a Lincoln LS that replaced the stock rear mufflers with Flowmaster FX mufflers, it sounded amazing. The FX mufflers are straight through mufflers not chambered so they don't sound raspy.

Thanks for the reply. I just recently heard a Lincoln LS that replaced the stock rear mufflers with Flowmaster FX mufflers, it sounded amazing. The FX mufflers are straight through mufflers not chambered so they don't sound raspy.
Does anyone know the diameter of pipes going into and out of stock 04 T-bird? Also, amount of offset. If you've switched to Flowmaster FX, what is the correct item number?

Ordered BORLA Cat-Back Exhaust (#140081) from Summit Parts..Delivery 11-28-2018>Will advise after install...

Back