Power Steering groan 2004 Thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
4PacificBird

4PacificBird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Power Steering groans a low speeds when turning right or left. Steering fluid is okay. I was told to change the fluid and lube the pump. Any info appreciated.

Power Steering groans a low speeds when turning right or left. Steering fluid is okay. I was told to change the fluid and lube the pump. Any info appreciated.
Everything you seek can be found in this thread. TSBs about the issue; sources for conditioner; and anecdotal stories by those who have dealt with it. Good luck!

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/squeaking-steering-wheel.4825/#post-34809

PS: I know this says "squeaking", and your description says "groaning". Mine was more of a groan too. I'm pretty sure they're one and the same.

Hi there. Just wanted to add here that I've used the Lucas power steering fluid + conditioner product twice now on two Fords ('64 T Bird, '69 Galaxie 500) and it worked great to resolve the "groan" issue and also squealing when the steering is cranked to the locks. I siphoned out 12 ounces of the existing fluid and replaced with the Lucas product, and problem solved.

Doug

My, new to me, 2003 Tbird is running perfect after a complete set of coil replacement, I does however have one annoying problem. when i insert the key the steering wheel moves back as it should, but when I shut off the engine and remove the key it makes a groaning/scraping noise as it retracts back. Anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it?

Some noise is normal in the "tilt ane extend" mechanism; there is a screw drive, slide rails and other components in that area - so without hearing things first hand, its difficult to say if there ia a real issue. When I had my dash/steering apart for other issues I heavily lubricated my 2002 setup and it did smooth out and quiet overall operation; there are sevearl gears and pivot points involved along with a large spring that can make a noise as it is tensioned and relaxed.

If it bugs you enough and you're worried about it failing there is a way to keep it permanently in a fixed positon like most other cars.
IMG_1948_marked.jpgIMG_1950_marked.jpgIMG_1951_marked.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back