LED replacement for Driving Light bulb

Transporter

Transporter

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anybody found an LED replacement for the Driving Light's bulb? My passenger side driving light just went out and before I head to Auto Zone to by another Edison filament bulb, was wondering if anybody had found and is using an LED bulb in their driving lights?

I have switched the taillights and interior lights on the Expedition over to LED and the amount of additional light is amazing. The better half was like why are you going to all that trouble on interior lights. I said because the Expedition is 15 years old and has had two interior lights go out in the last 3 months, I am only doing this once. I purposely did the drivers side of the Expedition first then invited the better half outside after dark. She said what is it. I said get in the truck (I had the interior lights disabled so as the door would not turn on the lights). She got in, I turned the interior lights on and she couldn't believe how bright my side of the Expedition was. You can now actually find something you drop on the floor or between the seats on a pitch black night without needing a flashlight to supplement the interior lights!

What LEDs are you using?

LED are great inside and also for being seen as in marker lights turn ,brake ect...but be careful with headlights, although they can be bright to see from another vehicle(sometimes annoyingly so) their ability to light up road varies greatly on high beams. the small driving lights should be no problem as they don't put out a ton of light anyways

LED are great inside and also for being seen as in marker lights turn ,brake ect...but be careful with headlights, although they can be bright to see from another vehicle(sometimes annoyingly so) their ability to light up road varies greatly on high beams. the small driving lights should be no problem as they don't put out a ton of light anyways

With you on that, the driving lights just currently light up the road right in front of the car anyway which is all I am asking of an LED replacement. I'm with you on where to use them, brake lights, turn signals, side markers, tag lights, dash lights, interior light. HID is the way to go if one wants more light farther up the road.

There has been a lot of discussion on LED replacements, but many have heat problems. Specifically, by product brand and part number, what have you found to work? Thanks

There has been a lot of discussion on LED replacements, but many have heat problems. Specifically, by product brand and part number, what have you found to work? Thanks
its not the brand of bulb used.It's the resistor used to keep flashing correct and the electronics in car to not tell you the bulb is burnt out.
ALL resistors will create heat so ,1 a bulb with a resistor will make heat in your light housing .2 most have to buy an add on resistor which connects to the wiring of light where used..If you mount that resistor to plastic it will melt it as some here have found out. so it does not matter brand of bulb it matters where you mount resistor.

FYI today I tried to add a white/amber(lights white but flashes amber) to the parking light on bottom half of the headlight housing I even included the resistor and I know it worked as no warnings or fast blink even with no bulb in it. regular lights still worked too but I could not get the LED to work.I have a friend who is a wizard in electronics and he said LED had 2 separate grounds inside and that the FEM would not let it operate correctly.I'm bummed

Try these ones I found on Amazon. They work great and stay cool. BTW they are cheap too.

ANTLINE Extremely Bright 921 912 906 T15 W16W LED Bulb White, CANBUS 48-SMD 4014 Chipsets 1300 Lumens LED Replacement for Car Backup Reverse Center High Mount Stop Light Bulbs(Pack of 2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back