1957 Neutral Safety Switch

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking through the paperwork that came with my restored '57, it shows that they replaced the neutral safety switch. When I took delivery of the car, it would start in Park and Neutral. A few months later, it would only start in neutral.
I see where some are made that allow starting in both park and neutral. I'd really like to get it to start in Park.
Is the switch easy to get to? Is there a way to by-pass it entirely?

Thanks

If it is new, most likely it just moved out of position. I put in my 64 neutral switch and I am still trying to tweak it so it starts in both park and neutral. It is easy for me to take out the driver seat. 4 bolts and put the seat outside the car. Then get back into the steering column near firewall and loosen two screws and re-align it. I'm not a big fan on by-passing the neutral switch. Any gear to start it, isn't the most safest.

Ahhh good point. I know the restorer bought all Tbird parts from Mac's. The switch on their site looks like it's just designed for neutral starting, yet when I got the car, it would start in Park. Hopefully, it just needs realigning.

Thanks for the advice.

The switch is mounted on the shifter and I don't think you have to take the seat out to get at it. You should be able to adjust it from underneath the car. I'm not 100% sure you can adjust from underneath but I'd say more like 80%. I know Hill's sells a switch that will work in both park & neutral. ( page 54 of the catalog. P/N 7247. cost $109.95) Same price from National Parts Depot P/N T-7A247-1. I

The switch is mounted on the shifter and I don't think you have to take the seat out to get at it. You should be able to adjust it from underneath the car. I'm not 100% sure you can adjust from underneath but I'd say more like 80%. I know Hill's sells a switch that will work in both park & neutral. ( page 54 of the catalog. P/N 7247. cost $109.95) Same price from National Parts Depot P/N T-7A247-1. I
I was mentioning it that way for me. It is easier then struggling with the angle.

Oiginally the Thunderbirds would not start in other than the neutral position. Some Thunderbird parts dealers now offer a modified neutral safety switch that allows the engine to be started in the Park position.

The switch can be located by going under the left (driver’s) side of the car, look up between the frame X member and the left muffler. The mounting bracket for the switch is part of the shifter mechanism. The holes on the switch bracket are slotted to accommodate the switch adjustment to shifter detents.

Proper adjustment of the switch can be accomplished by placing the shifter in the neutral detent position, slide the switch forward or aft to locate the start in neutral position. Once the start in neutral position is located, tighten the screws to lock the switch in position.

CAUTION: As a safety precaution it is advisable to have the rear wheels off the ground and the vehicle properly supported when checking the various shifter positions.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Oiginally the Thunderbirds would not start in other than the neutral position. Some Thunderbird parts dealers now offer a modified neutral safety switch that allows the engine to be started in the Park position.

The switch can be located by going under the left (driver’s) side of the car, look up between the frame X member and the left muffler. The mounting bracket for the switch is part of the shifter mechanism. The holes on the switch bracket are slotted to accommodate the switch adjustment to shifter detents.

Proper adjustment of the switch can be accomplished by placing the shifter in the neutral detent position, slide the switch forward or aft to locate the start in neutral position. Once the start in neutral position is located, tighten the screws to lock the switch in position.

CAUTION: As a safety precaution it is advisable to have the rear wheels off the ground and the vehicle properly supported when checking the various shifter positions.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Searched and found this old post....my new-to-me '57 will only start in neutral and at that you sometimes have to jiggle the shifter handle to make that work. Could it be that this switch is just a hair off on alignment and that if I adjust, it will not require the "wiggle"? I was told it should start in Park, as well, but that is not the case with an original switch? I found another original switch, NOS and still in the Motorcraft box....but maybe it will only be for start-only-in-neutral also? Just trying to figure this out...thanks.

Searched and found this old post....my new-to-me '57 will only start in neutral and at that you sometimes have to jiggle the shifter handle to make that work. Could it be that this switch is just a hair off on alignment and that if I adjust, it will not require the "wiggle"? I was told it should start in Park, as well, but that is not the case with an original switch? I found another original switch, NOS and still in the Motorcraft box....but maybe it will only be for start-only-in-neutral also? Just trying to figure this out...thanks.
You are on the right track. It could be just a dirty switch. If you can jack it up and put on jack stands the switch is pretty accessible in the tunnel. Give it a good spray, it will penetrate into the contacts and clean and preserve them. They rarely fall out of adjustment.
Same with the dash dimmer on the light switch. The rheostat coil gets corroded and poor contact. Sprayed it with BP Blaster and after a couple of cycles I have adjustable dash lights. And yes they are designed to only start in neutral but switches are available to start in park.

The switch sealed inside a metal, case, you can't spray contact cleaner on the switch unless you remove and disassemble the switch. From what you are telling me I think the switch is just out of adjustment, try adjusting the switch first.

Originally the Thunderbirds would not start in other than the neutral position. Some Thunderbird parts suppliers offer a modified neutral safety switch that allows the engine to be started in the park and neutral positions.

Here is a picture of where the switch is located and an article on how to replace and adjust the switch.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Neutral Safety Switch.jpgReaplacing and Adjusting the Neutral Safety Switch.JPG

Interesting commentaries. On the '57 I just acquired, I noticed an extra wire coming out of the passenger compartment going up to the starter solenoid. So, I suspected someone had previously gotten frustrated with the neutral safety switch. To test my theory, I put the car in drive, and it would start (and probably in any gear). I re-hooked up the neutral switch and now it will only start in neutral.
Just saying, after over 65 years, you cannot be sure of what anyone has done to your car.
Ralph

Does anyone have personal experience with the switch referenced above from Hills, NPD, or elsewhere that allows starting in both Park and Neutral? I’ve found the switch on their sites; my question is whether anyone here is using it and, if so, any problems/issues?

I ask because my car is at the shop anyway for several more weeks, so I’m considering buying one of those switches and having the shop install it. I’ve mostly gotten used to starting my ‘57 in neutral, but it might be nice to be able to start it in park like “normal” (I.e., like on more modern cars). That said: it’s not a huge problem starting it in neutral, so I wouldn’t want to go this route if folks’ experience is that these modified switches are fussy, unreliable, etc.

I install one of the switches you dicribed from Hills
No problems at all
Very simple
Just be sure the wiring is corrects
I to found the neutral safety switch by-passed and had to correct them

So, I now understand why my ‘56 will start in any position. And, I am all too aware what 6 or 7 decades of previous owners thinking can do to vehicles. Biggest issue now seems to be bending and squatting down to pick stuff up ….so creeping under the chassis is not going to be fun while blindly feeling for a switch.

So, I now understand why my ‘56 will start in any position. And, I am all too aware what 6 or 7 decades of previous owners thinking can do to vehicles. Biggest issue now seems to be bending and squatting down to pick stuff up ….so creeping under the chassis is not going to be fun while blindly feeling for a switch.
If you get it up on jack stands and lay on a crawler or your friend's lift, it's actually pretty accessible.

I Have known my friend for more than 20 years. while He tells me to come over and use the lift, I feel terrible doing so. For the last 6 years, our standing joke was me sending him a photo of my pickup every few months on the plastic ramps while I would change the oil and filter.He needs to jockey his cars around to make a space for me to drive in, do my thing, and then when I leave he’s out there moving everything back. If something should spill on the floor…I will feel terrible. It is SO COOL having the vehicles lifted to work on but I cannot balance out that emotion of need. I have our own cars for daily use, between my wife and I, and several projects that just benefit substantially from working on at eye level

with a lift, I can microscopically examine anything under the car…paint stuff, clean up things, tighten stuff and a few other maintenance items. Since I do almost all of my own work, the money saved on services can go towards the cost of the lift. Seems logical as I sit here in a recliner watching some snow flurries outside ;)

They are very usefull. I think i paid under 2500 fore mine, KENN

Attachments

• DSCI0012.JPG
    DSCI0012.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 2
Useful is a keyword !! I’ve got my eye on 2 different ones. I understand the t-bird is a minimal requirement but I have a suburban and a silverado pickup and I need to have the 108” wide version or wider. My friend has a Backyard Buddy with 17’ long runways and 9’ tall and some really great features. Their YouTube channel shows an install video that really explains the details. Of course, those “details” are double the cost.

Does weather affect the lift as you have it in your photo?

I have had an Atlas model for over 5 years, and it is economical and faithful.
Ralph

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep it well lubed and the motor covered when not in use. I also use it for my expedition This one is rated at 8000 lbs. I replaced the hyd tank after 3 yrs because of a crack. Being outside in WI. i dont use it in the winter I am very happy with it. The price has went up since i got mine, but thats to be expected after 5 yrs. 2 post hoists are cheaper and more versital but harder to use in my opinion.

Back