1955 fuel leak or vent issue?

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have only had my T Bird for a few weeks....I have filled the tank twice and each time I parked after doing so, I end up with a small puddle of fuel under the tank area....any ideas? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not all years have a “tank vent”. They are vented thru the cap. You could have a hole in your tank or the seal where the filler tube enters could be leaking. You really need to find someone with a lift and get under the car after you fill the tank. (To see where the gas is coming from).

Not all years have a “tank vent”. They are vented thru the cap. You could have a hole in your tank or the seal where the filler tube enters could be leaking. You really need to find someone with a lift and get under the car after you fill the tank. (To see where the gas is coming from).
Thanks...the tank, etc. are all new but I will have it checked out....seems like perhaps a venting issue could be at play, I do not believe it has a vented cap.

Please incude the model year of your car in the subject line when posting. Thanks. I revised.

The gas cap on your T-Bird must be vented to allow air to enter the tank. If air cannot get into the tank vacuum will be created which can stop the flow of fuel to your engine. To vent the fuel tank, the 1955 and 1956 gas caps have a rib stamped into the surface which allows air to enter from the outside edge of the cap to the center.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Fuel Cap.jpg

The gas cap on your T-Bird must be vented to allow air to enter the tank. If air cannot get into the tank vacuum will be created which can stop the flow of fuel to your engine. To vent the fuel tank, the 1955 and 1956 gas caps have a rib stamped into the surface which allows air to enter from the outside edge of the cap to the center.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
View attachment 1998

Thanks Doug...I ordered a Stanton cap like the one you show...The cap on the car does not appear to be a vented cap....seems like it could be the issue to me since it does not leak oj a regualr basis, only when full.and hot. I will monitor once I put the new cap on and update the thread!

Thanks Doug...I ordered a Stanton cap like the one you show...The cap on the car does not appear to be a vented cap....seems like it could be the issue to me since it does not leak oj a regualr basis, only when full.and hot. I will monitor once I put the new cap on and update the thread!

Stant cap that is!

Back