Converting colum shifter to floor 1969 tbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 1969 Thunderbird the colum shifter is loose and sloppy. Problem is the parts seemingly are obsolete so I am wondering is there a way to install a floor shifter? My car has the split bench seat so I have easy access to the trans tunnel to make holes to put it in. Is there a possible way to install a floor shifter and still keep the tilt away steering wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know the answer to your question and looking at the views but no replies to your problem. Neither does anyone else. I would suggest you take the car to a transmission or performance shop to see if they have answers. Mine also had slop in it but was able to fix the two metal hexagon inserts that go in the frame. My two issues are I have to slightly pull on shifter to engage park neutral safety switch and sometimes it`s a pain in the butt to get it in gear to disengage the tilt away. Anyway enough of my problems. I would try those avenues. Good luck

Back