1957 Steering wheel play

Birdman57
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 57 Teebird has about an inch or inch and a half play in the steering wheel would just be the steering gear needs to be adjusted or replaced ?

Please add the model year to the subject when posting. Thanks. I added it for you.

There is a screw on the top of steering box. Turn it 1/4 turn at a time. If it's already screwed all the way down it needs to be rebuilt.
I got my wife a 57 Light blue T-Bird, the steering has the same play. do you have a photo of the screw you refer to?

If there is a lot of play in the steering wheel before the front wheels turn, before adjusting the steering box make sure the steering and suspension components are not worn or damaged. If you determine that the play is definitely in the steering box, attached is the procedure I use to adjust the steering box.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Steering Box Adjustment.pdf
    379.8 KB · Views: 33
Another question. from the back of the steering box there's a wire coming from it. What is the wire for?

If there is a lot of play in the steering wheel before the front wheels turn, before adjusting the steering box make sure the steering and suspension components are not worn or damaged. If you determine that the play is definitely in the steering box, attached is the procedure I use to adjust the steering box.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I located the adjustment screw. What I found is a tight adjustment screw with only 1/2 turn left for me to make. the screw is now maxed out without any ability to make anymore adjustment, I also found it needed more oil. I am going to re-build the front suspension to make sure it is not those parts contributing to the play.

Too little steering wheel play...to much, very sensitive, safety issue....can the reverse adjustment alleviate this sensitivity?

Too little steering wheel play...to much, very sensitive, safety issue....can the reverse adjustment alleviate this sensitivity?
Shouldn't have any play, period. Never can have too little unless the box is locked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't have any play, period. Never can have too little unless the box is locked up.
Initially, it had too much play. After alignment, it now has too little. The slightest movement causes tire movement which is a safety problem when passing and slight correction to straight ahead tracking.

You probably have tire or suspension issues.

You probably have tire or suspension issues.
As previously stated, I had the front-end alignment, with corrections. This was after I had all four tires replaced. My thought is that steering box adjustment may come into play on this since the forum addresses too much steering play and the steering box adjustment for this, but not little or no steering play. Any thoughs?

If to have little to no play in the wheel at rest, it's probably not the steering mechanism but may be your 'A' frame to frame bushings. You will not notice it rest but on the road they can wiggle around and cause your symptoms.

You don't need to have play in the steering to maintain control. You may have had an alignment, but it sounds like you have other issues, caster for one. Worn bushings,bad shocks, incorrect air pressure, lots of things can cause an unstable front end. Have you checked the steering box to frame bolts? My experiences lead me to think of instability instead of tight box. Go a step further and check the left frame rail near the box for cracks.

Back