Car shows, car show hosts

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Gary Tayman

Gary Tayman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Here's a good topic for discussion. I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas.

This is not about the cars, but the car SHOWS. A good friend of mine hosts shows all over the region, as a full-time business. He started from the ground up -- as I did with my OWN business. No books or instructions on how to do it, just learn from the school of hard knocks. His shows are enjoyable, and I sponsor them.

What bothers me is the fact that many, now out of habit, bring their cars to these shows and refuse to sign in. After all, registration fee is $10 for most, $20 for certain special shows. It has now gotten so bad that lately, 1/2 to 2/3 of the cars in attendance are not registered.

Last night was the straw that broke the camel's back, at least for me. He hosted a benefit show. A local 4-H and FFA group of girls have been coming to recent shows and raising money for club expenses. They have been working HARD and TIRELESSLY! This has been so impressive that he has offered to help, for free, a show especially for THEM. This show was last night, at a local restaurant. Overall the show went well, the club was pleased, and so was the restaurant owner. BUT -- there were several cruisers who flat-out refused to sign in, and when it was announced that registration was mandatory, they came up to the trailer window and cussed out the ladies who were taking the registrations! They insisted that it's a public parking lot, and they have a legal right to keep their cars parked there!

Excuse me? Sorry, but NOBODY has a legal "right" to park anywhere, except on their own property! If I come to your house and park my car in your driveway, you have a legal right to kick me out. That holds true whether you own the home outright, mortgage the home, or rent it. Every shopping center owner (or lessee, if agreed upon) has the right to tell cars not to park there, or to charge parking fees, and that includes municipal lots. Ever heard of parking meters? So it is perfectly legitimate for the restaurant owner to rope off part of his lot for collector vehicles only.

Signs? Yes, we've done this, and these scoundrels have screamed bloody murder -- to the point where the proprietor has backed down. Some years ago a certain cruiser took photos of cars that didn't register and put them on his website, to expose the freeloaders. This also got nasty for awhile. The show host has decided to let it be, afraid of the consequences of trying to enforce this. The result? It's getting worse and worse!

Anybody else out there hosted car shows, or known people who have? I'm curious to hear how others deal with this.

I take my cars to a show locally here in Massachusetts. There is not an entry fee but they do request a small donation as you drive in. The proceeds from the gate are given to the local D.A.R.E. program. I know if I pull up to the gate at any venue and there is a sign for entry fee to the show I would either pay it or move on down the road. If people want to pull in and refuse to pay I feel they are in the wrong.

Our Car Club host one car show a year. Average attendance is 350 cars. There is a huge easy to find registration table. BUT . . . we collect the money when the participants first enter the compound. No money - no entrance. Once the fee is paid, we couldn't care less if the idiot registers. No register, no goody bag, no dash plaque, no judging the car. But we have the MONEY which gets donated to local charities.

Thanks for your responses.

My friend hosts well over 150 shows a year, often 3 or 4 on a single weekend. It is his livelihood. Indeed, some of the shows are benefit, meaning the registration money goes to a particular charity -- as in the case of the show in question which raised money for the local 4-H and FFA.

I know of someone else, in another area, who does much the same thing -- hosts shows each weekend in various places. In his case, registration is totally free, but his wife goes around selling 50-50 tickets, typically with at least two drawings per show. He makes it quite clear, proceeds from the 50-50 is how they get paid. Interesting idea, except technically this is illegal gambling. The state typically looks the other way, in fact it IS legal if certain parameters are met, the big one being the money goes to a 501-C3 charity. Income is, well, not legal. Though nobody seems to have an issue with it, I certainly would nor condone it.

Well, Gary, while I was sympathetic with your first problem, the 50-50 issue is really petty in my opinion. There are expenses associated even with "free" registration" shows. Show promoters can pay those by charging admission fees (compulsory) of 50-50 tickets (voluntary). That charities benefit from at least half the money is a good thing.

That's something a lot of people don't realize. SOMEBODY pays for the promotion, for the door prizes, for the trophies, and for the host/DJ to spend his day there. There's rental of the lot -- unless the owner simply gives permission. There is definitely insurance, overlooked completely by some but believe me you want it. As an example, a few years ago at a show in Englewood, someone left the show and was trying to be cute -- floored the car, burned some rubber, and hit an old guy on a bicycle and killed him. I don't think that guy will ever see his car again, let alone drive it. But the family sued the host, who obviously had nothing to do with the incident. Very sad, but these things can and do happen.

Anyway, there are plenty of expenses involved, which the casual public doesn't realize. When someone hosts a show for charity, in many cases it COSTS him.

Back