protective tape for putting on hard top

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Last seen
I used the all the gasket/tape that gets put down before putting the hard top back on my 2003. New tape costs $150. Any other ideas to protect the finish? What makes this tape so special?

.....this is my fourth winter....and I don't worry about that procedure.....may- be it's the colour (Inspiration Yellow)....It's not a big issue....minor chaffing but is not any more noticeable than year one....mostly buffs out....Clean and lubricated contact surfaces are key......I would be 103 before any noticable wear would take place, I'm sure!........

one solution

I used a SS strip that I got from Out of Business and it solved the problem, also tightened up the top fit. Hope this helps

Invinca is a great product....infact, for those who have the stainless strips, I would recommend the invinca over them as well. After all they are stainless and they do get minor abrasions on them.
OR, for those who have the Ford strips left over, use them over the stainless until you run out-just a suggestion.

Stainless Steel Strip Movement

I have the stainless steel strips for protection of the paint under the hardtop. I'm very satisfied with the strips as protection and they reduce the dreaded top noise. However, when I removed my hardtop for the cool fall "top down" weather, the side strips had moved 1/4 inch (both side strips) The supplier replaced the strips and I haven't had the hardtop on since replacement. Anyone have the problem or suggestions to prevent the movement. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Interesting post JetBird.....QAA put the strips on my car almost three years ago as a test. We also did the pictures (blackbird, for their website and these pics are also on their dealer sites). I drove the car 2500 miles and removed the top to reveal only slight chaffing on the strips.
We put the top back on and it's been on ever since. Just recently bought an electric hoist, so the top will come off in the springtime - I wonder what I'll find?????:confused:

Quick, that link isn't working for me, do you have another one?

Sophia: Great to see you posting again. I shortened Quickdraws url to Invinca-Shield.com and got the following:

http://clearfilmprotection.com/

I assime that you can probably follow that site through to TBirds.

Thanks, I got the stainless strip ordered and will put the Mylar on it.

I received the stainless strip. I thought it would be a lot wider, enough to show when the hardtop is on, like the dirty clear tape. It is really narrow.

Sophia:
The original strips went out to the third tail light and didn't look good at all. Since the manufacturer is 5 miles away from me we got together and made the change to what it is today.
This was done because most TBird owners at that time did not want to see any part of the strip when the hardtop was on. So yes, they are very thin, but on purpose.

Just signed up, interesting thread. I have a 02 Bird Whisper White I think,
and I have never used any of the protection strips. Still have the originals
in the plastic bag. Appears not to have caused any problems, but then
again we have not put the hard top on in over a year. But prior years
no problems.

Bought this 02 new, and just hit 6k miles. I seem to be one of the few
that have never had any problems, not even dead batteries. Car does
stay in garage.

That's great Edward, and WELCOME!!
If and when you put that hardtop on, it's always good to apply a coat of wax to the sail panel and be sure to wipe down the hardtop gasket before lowering the hardtop onto the car.

In fact, since it's laying dormant, it may do well to treat that hardtop gasket to a rub of rubber protectant. It will keep the rubber gasket soft and plyable but most of all, prevent deterioration over time. It will also be easy to wipe down when you put the hardtop on. Just a thought..

3M Tape

Has anyone tried using 3M window seal tape? I bought the 03 about 3 years ago and there wasn't any tape on it and it had some chafing. Hasn't gotten any worse. But the noise it makes is embarrassing.

Protecting finish from hard top abrasion

This may seem a little to simple...The tape you would use to cover the edge of a pick up bed prior to placing a cap on it. The tape is sticky on one side and about 2" wide and 3/16" thick. I placed sticky side down with outer edge just out enough to be seen when hard top is put on. The thickness does not hamper sealing the top but gets rid of squeeking noise. In the summer I use Goo-Off the remove any tape or glue. Makes a great seal and protects finish for about $5.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back