1957 backup & turn signal wiring

thejetman
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have thr correct wiring diagram for the turn signal switch itself? I've got the shop manual. And in 8-17 Turn indicator ts "road map" it dosent have the switch wires. I purchased a replacement switch from a vendor and I cannot figure it out. Attached is the switch wiring photo. Any help would be appreciated!
16789933673847671728904539020450.jpg

When you post to the forums, you will get more responses if you summarize what your post is about "1957 Hardtop turn signal help" could be anything.

I revised it.model-year-TBF.jpg

These drawings might help you?
A '57 often doesn't have a black junction block for the switch wires under the dash like the '55 & '56 do. The switch wires plug directly into female bullet connectors that branch out of the main dashboard wiring harness, photo 3.
Notice that instead of a small continuous stripe color in the wire insulation the color of the plastic connector is/can be the 'stripe' color. Matching switch & dash harness colors plug into each other.
The wire color diagram & legend in photos 1 & 2 are actually from a '55 diagram but the colors & wire connections in a '57 are the same. Example photo 3. (I have both a '55 & '57.)
turn signal switch wiring.jpgwiring color legend '55.jpgturn signal switch, dash wires.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These drawings might help you?
A '57 often doesn't have a black junction block for the switch wires under the dash like the '55 & '56 do. The switch wires plug directly into female bullet connectors that branch out of the main dashboard wiring harness, photo 3.
Notice that instead of a small continuous stripe color in the wire insulation the color of the plastic connector is/can be the 'stripe' color. Matching switch & dash harness colors plug into each other.
The wire color diagram & legend in photos 1 & 2 are actually from a '55 diagram but the colors & wire connections in a '57 are the same. Example photo 3. (I have both a '55 & '57.)
Yes I have read that at times when buying wire in bulk they just used the connector color for circuit determination instead of a full trace color in the wire. much less expensive when you need the wire NOW! A nightmare when under the dash trying to figure what wire is going where.

Also Looking for the wiring diagram for the backup/reverse lights. Thanks
That may be harder to find? I suspect an installation diagram came in the box with the Optional parts. Not sure I've seen one.
My '57 was ordered without backup lights and they're missing in my '55.

It should be pretty straight-forward... a connection from the headlight switch with a wire down to the backup light switch, then following the tail light wire bundle back to the tail light fixtures.
Ford updated the source of backup light power to the ignition switch for '58 as a safety improvement for other drivers & pedestrians.
I'd be very tempted to add an inline fuse holder to the wire where it connects to its power source.

This book has a backup light wiring diagram for a '57 on page 103 but the images are fairly small and a bit hard to decipher.
20200515_100326 elect book.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
my 56 has automatic. Wiring harness to rear tail lights has a black wire thAt goes from dash to shifter where it connects to switch one wire into switch one out then continues to backup lights @ rear. All of these wires are In the harness but could be run individually should be similar for standard,
hope this helps.

1957 backup lights. Are there backup lamp wires already incorperated in the harnes or does a seperate harness need to be run to add backup lamps plus the switch at the transmission?
Mine does not have them but it would be neat to have them!!!

1957 backup lights. Are there backup lamp wires already incorporated in the harness or does a separate harness need to be run to add backup lamps plus the switch at the transmission?
Mine does not have them but it would be neat to have them!!!
I would just look at the wire harness at the tail lights and see if there is an abandoned wire there. I wouldn't think they would have separate harnesses for a minor accessory. Speed and consistency were the rule then. But I could be wrong.

Back