WTB 2003 OEM Catalytic Converters

windfallin
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Everyone,

I know there have been other threads about this subject, but they were closed for new comments. I've had my beautiful 2003 sky blue Thunderbird for a few years now and it has been quite an expensive undertaking. Apparently the "one owner" before me did all his own work with secondary market parts and I've been dearly paying for his shoddy work. The newest issue is that the engine light came on last week, which never means anything good, and the dealer just called saying it needs both catalytic converters replaced and they are having a very hard time finding OEM parts for it.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to find them? My searched have led me to sites with discontinued parts, or secondary market parts which the dealer does not recommend of course. On that note, has anyone replaced their catalytic converters with secondary market parts without issues?

Thank you. I know I'm getting to where I'm not going to be able to keep this car because of the cost, but I'm not ready to give it up just yet having wanted it since it launched in 2002. Just trying to do the right thing with the repairs. All advice welcome.

As you see, your post has links to them. We add these automatically for common things.

The car is 20 years old and they didn't make enough of them to warrant many aftermarket parts and obviously the ship sailed long ago on OEM parts unless it is NOS.

Last edited:
As you see, your post has links to them. We add these automatically for common things.

The car is 20 years old and they didn't make enough of them to warrant many aftermarket parts and obviously the shop sailed long ago on OEM parts unless it is NOS.
I figured as much, just wanted the more informed peanut gallery expertise from this board! What is NOS? Not familiar with that acronym.

Also, wondering about everyone else's experience with this repair.

Hi Everyone,

I know there have been other threads about this subject, but they were closed for new comments. I've had my beautiful 2003 sky blue Thunderbird for a few years now and it has been quite an expensive undertaking. Apparently the "one owner" before me did all his own work with secondary market parts and I've been dearly paying for his shoddy work. The newest issue is that the engine light came on last week, which never means anything good, and the dealer just called saying it needs both catalytic converters replaced and they are having a very hard time finding OEM parts for it.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to find them? My searched have led me to sites with discontinued parts, or secondary market parts which the dealer does not recommend of course. On that note, has anyone replaced their catalytic converters with secondary market parts without issues?

Thank you. I know I'm getting to where I'm not going to be able to keep this car because of the cost, but I'm not ready to give it up just yet having wanted it since it launched in 2002. Just trying to do the right thing with the repairs. All advice welcome.
Yes I have. Used Flowmaster Direct replacement cats and installed a Borla exhaust system as well. Runs and sounds great on my 2003 thunder chicken.

Back