2003 - Car won't start after storage codes P0606, P1235, P2100, P2105, P2107

O

oldfordguy59

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am the original owner of a 2003 Bird with 16k original miles. The car was running fine and had no codes when I parked it in the garage several years ago. When I went to start it recently it cranked fine but it would not start and the radiator cooling fan was running the entire time the key was on (which isn't normal). It also displayed the wrench indication, and perhaps others (I need to check).
I connected the OBDII reader and it showed codes P0606, P1235, P2100, P2105, and P2107.
Since the battery was old, even though it cranked fine, I replaced it for good measure. After the new battery was installed, there was no change in the symptoms. The same codes are presented in the stored and pending DTC's. P0606 is also stored in the Freeze Frame data.
Since some of the codes were Throttle Actuator related, I removed the "snorkel" from the throttle body and with the key off gently pushed on the throttle blade to make sure that it was not stuck. It was not, although the actuator motor resists the movement. With a helper observing, the throttle is seen to move slightly when the key is turned to the on position, so it doesn't seem to be mechanically stuck.
I am an experienced mechanic and an electrical engineer, but would really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go from here. The P0606 ECM/PCM Processor code is particularly troubling to me. Can these really go bad from the car just sitting in the garage?

I am the original owner of a 2003 Bird with 16k original miles. The car was running fine and had no codes when I parked it in the garage several years ago. When I went to start it recently it cranked fine but it would not start and the radiator cooling fan was running the entire time the key was on (which isn't normal). It also displayed the wrench indication, and perhaps others (I need to check).
I connected the OBDII reader and it showed codes P0606, P1235, P2100, P2105, and P2107.
Since the battery was old, even though it cranked fine, I replaced it for good measure. After the new battery was installed, there was no change in the symptoms. The same codes are presented in the stored and pending DTC's. P0606 is also stored in the Freeze Frame data.
Since some of the codes were Throttle Actuator related, I removed the "snorkel" from the throttle body and with the key off gently pushed on the throttle blade to make sure that it was not stuck. It was not, although the actuator motor resists the movement. With a helper observing, the throttle is seen to move slightly when the key is turned to the on position, so it doesn't seem to be mechanically stuck.
I am an experienced mechanic and an electrical engineer, but would really appreciate some suggestions as to where to go from here. The P0606 ECM/PCM Processor code is particularly troubling to me. Can these really go bad from the car just sitting in the garage?
Find a warm and DRY place to put the car. Disconnect your battery. Take apart, inspect, clean with alcohol every electrical connector that you can find. Especially the ones with multiple pins. Running the car occasionally creates the heat that will dry out the trapped moisture... Good luck.

The car was running fine when I parked it in the garage several years ago. When I went to start it recently it cranked fine but it would not start.
Wait, you left it sitting for years and never started it, drove it around the block etc? Wow!

Can these really go bad from the car just sitting in the garage?
Oh, most certainly! Leaving any car sitting for years does not end well. Did you put Stabil in the gas? I see people reporting fuel pump issues just from sitting a few months. These cars definitely don't like to sit undriven.

Also wires on modern cars are coated with a material that attracts rodents.

JohnS: Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that P0606 is typically an indication of a bad connection somewhere between the battery or gnd and the computer. Fun, fun ;)

Biddle: Sad, but true. The car was not driven for about 5yrs. I am aware of the typical fuel, brake, and battery issues that stored cars often encounter, but never had a computer die from it! I'm guessing the computer is actually OK, but as JohnS points out, degraded connections can make the computer fail it's self test and throw the P0606 code. As you point out, a wire or connection failure could be due to a rodent gnawing on them. I'll look for that. Thanks for the input!

Once I get the P0606 code resolved, I'll retest to see if it makes any of the others go away.

Anyone know which manual CD has schematics for the 03 Bird? I ask because there are several available from the EBa links.

JohnS: Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that P0606 is typically an indication of a bad connection somewhere between the battery or gnd and the computer. Fun, fun ;)

Biddle: Sad, but true. The car was not driven for about 5yrs. I am aware of the typical fuel, brake, and battery issues that stored cars often encounter, but never had a computer die from it! I'm guessing the computer is actually OK, but as JohnS points out, degraded connections can make the computer fail it's self test and throw the P0606 code. As you point out, a wire or connection failure could be due to a rodent gnawing on them. I'll look for that. Thanks for the input!

Once I get the P0606 code resolved, I'll retest to see if it makes any of the others go away.
Do not try to resolve fault code P0606 first, because P0606 can be caused by the Electronic Throttle Control.

P0606.jpg

The probable cause of fault codes P1235, P2100 and P2107 is also the Electronic Throttle Control.

P1235.jpg

P2100.jpg

P2107.jpg
Since the vehicle was sitting in storage for 5 years, I would start by checking the wiring harness for rodent damage. Attached is the powertrain wiring diagram.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Wiring 1.JPG

Wiring 2.JPG

Wiring 3.JPG

Wiring 4.JPG

Doug7740: Thank you so much for the excellent info and advice! I need to purchase a service manual that has good schematics, such as the ones you provided. The link to Ebay has several with some being <$20 for a CD and some more in the $70 range. Which do you use and/or recommend?
Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well oldfordguy59 I have the exact same car with the exact same probem after about 5 years. Oddly enough I have the same experience as well, experienced mechanic and electrical engineering backgound. This actually started after I moved the car to my new home around 2017. It would start but cranked a lot. I got the P2100. Once it started it would run fine. I replaced the coil packs at that time, due to an occasional misfire. Then after sitting for about 2 more years I went to start it and the Cooling fan would come on with the key, got the wrench as well. I found that if I let the car sit with Key on for 1 minute I could turn the key off, back on, no fan and it would start up and run fine. It would continue to start and run fine as long as it was hot. Now last Sunday after sitting another year or so I went to start it and Cooling Fan came on and won't stop even after 5 minutes, P0606, P2100 and a coulple more fuel pump out of range ect. The Throttle Control motor is not open throttle plate free and I can see about 1.3K on the wires from the PCM key off. My next step is going to be reseat the connector on the PCM. My car has 7700 miles on it.
I have the repair manual and wiring diagram paper copies. I can send photos of the wiring diagram. I Bought manuals when I bought the car. I would probably recommend the CD as long as it has both volumes on it. Had the car for about 20 years and I do also remember the Right Bank having water flooding the plugs and coil pack. The car was so new the dealer didn't even have spark plugs. I changed them due to the rust. I never did find the source of the water intrusion.

Good luck and keep in touch I'll let you know of any positive progress here.

Thanks

Fred Z

Last edited:
Well oldfordguy59 I have the exact same car with the exact same probem after about 5 years. Oddly enough I have the same experience as well, experienced mechanic and electrical engineering backgound. This actually started after I moved the car to my new home around 2017. It would start but cranked a lot. I got the P2100. Once it started it would run fine. I replaced the coil packs at that time, due to an occasional misfire. Then after sitting for about 2 more years I went to start it and the Cooling fan would come on with the key, got the wrench as well. I found that if I let the car sit with Key on for 1 minute I could turn the key off, back on, no fan and it would start up and run fine. It would continue to start and run fine as long as it was hot. Now last Sunday after sitting another year or so I went to start it and Cooling Fan came on and won't stop even after 5 minutes, P0606, P2100 and a coulple more fuel pump out of range ect. The Throttle Control motor is not open throttle plate free and I can see about 1.3K on the wires from the PCM key off. My next step is going to be reseat the connector on the PCM. My car has 7700 miles on it.
I have the repair manual and wiring diagram paper copies. I can send photos of the wiring diagram. I Bought manuals when I bought the car. I would probably recommend the CD as long as it has both volumes on it. Had the car for about 20 years and I do also remember the Right Bank having water flooding the plugs and coil pack. The car was so new the dealer didn't even have spark plugs. I changed them due to the rust. I never did find the source of the water intrusion.

Good luck and keep in touch I'll let you know of any positive progress here.

Thanks

Fred Z
Hi Fred!
Thank you for your detailed response!
Sorry to hear that you are having a similar problem to mine, but happy to hear that I have a partner in debugging it! As others have pointed out, not sure if the P0606 is the chicken or the egg. I have seen in other automotive electrical debug that the PCM code can be caused by a sensor shorted internally (happened on my '99 Dodge diesel pickup when the crankshaft position sensor failed) and the subsequent blown fuse(s).
Unfortunately, I will be away from the Bird for several months starting in about one week, so progress on my side will be limited. I'll post my progress as it occurs.

Dave G.

Hello Dave,

Well my car is running, I have attached a long winded explainaion but it was the PCM.
I also found the only manual I didn't have the Emmisions and DIagnostic manual and if you follow the P0606 it pretty much states replace PCM.

See attached PDF

MODERATOR NOTE: PDF files are for printing. Copy/paste your text in the body of your message, there is no reason to attach an PDF file for text.
Thanks,

Fred Z.

Hello . Have the same problem with a 2003 , bird PO606 and 20 different codes were did you get another computer from ? Thanks you Mike

Hello Mike,

I sent my PCM to the CarComputerExchange they turned it aroud in a week.
They thought I may have to reprogram my keys but I did not.
So when you turn the key on does the wrench light stay on and does your cooling fan come on full speed? If so I'll bet yours has the same issue. You can try pulling the fuse for the cooling fan and leaving the key on for an extended time. Then cycle the key and see if the wrench light goes off after the lamp test. If it does it will probably start. Don't forget to replace the cooling fan fuse. If this works you have the same problem I had. I would send your PCM out they also update the firmware.

Thanks,

Fred Z.

Hello Mike,

I sent my PCM to the CarComputerExchange they turned it aroud in a week.
They thought I may have to reprogram my keys but I did not.
So when you turn the key on does the wrench light stay on and does your cooling fan come on full speed? If so I'll bet yours has the same issue. You can try pulling the fuse for the cooling fan and leaving the key on for an extended time. Then cycle the key and see if the wrench light goes off after the lamp test. If it does it will probably start. Don't forget to replace the cooling fan fuse. If this works you have the same problem I had. I would send your PCM out they also update the firmware.

Thanks,

Fred Z.
Yes same thing wrench light fans at high speed and 20 diffrent codes , I got it to run good for about a hour , but I turn it off and started it again same problem came right back . Also when this happens you cannot see any reading thur the computer with my scanner , everthing is blank but rpm, I have a snap on scanner and use it all the time. I thinking the computer has a problem . Thanks for all your time !!!!

Heres the upate , Send the ecm to the computer exchange they tested it ,said it was good to go. Well that was wrong still had the same problems , Look at more parts of the bird found nothing . Order computer # 2 flag ship one company , Just installed it 1 day ago, finally runs like new again. If any of you t bird owners have any of these codes i would look at the pcm behine the glove box , the one in this car looked like water was getting in from the wiper panel area .

Back