1955 horn very sensitive

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
just pruchased a 1955 T bird. The horn comes on with just the slightest tap and sometimes if you just tap the steering horns sounds suggestions?

Order a horn ring kit from Larry’s T13804AK ($10) or one of the other outfits. Make sure wire is not frayed.

When I press the horn ring, most times it won't sound. As I move my hand around the ring, eventually I might get a horn sound.
Does anyone know how I can get the horn to sound regardless of where I press the ring?

When I press the horn ring, most times it won't sound. As I move my hand around the ring, eventually I might get a horn sound.
Does anyone know how I can get the horn to sound regardless of where I press the ring?
See @zeroroadkill's post above.

You can remove the horn ring and examine the contact points
Post a picture and we can better help you
You can also use puddly to see how well the contact point are working

my 55 has the opposite problem -- it takes a bit of force to make the horn work; but I don't push on the ring, only on the center of the wheel.

my 55 has the opposite problem -- it takes a bit of force to make the horn work; but I don't push on the ring, only on the center of the wheel.
How does it work with using the ring? Back then the ring was the way to honk the horn without taking your hand off the wheel. You could just use your thumb. The center connection didn't come into play until later when people complained that it was too easy to accidentally honk the horn when turning especially if the car didn't have power steering and the ring disappeared.
Only recently did the idea of honking the horn with your thumb has come back in fashion.

Back