What hat to wear?

O

OldSaltCityAce

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi;
Any suggestions for a hat to wear while driving with the top down?
I'm wearing a tweed cap I got in Scotland some years ago. Stays on nicely, but not a lot of sun protection.
Thanks, Jim

Fitted baseball hat.
That brim comes in very handy when driving into the sun

Sombrero...works in sun OR rain! (Actually, having owned a few convertibles, a 73 Mustang and a 69 Cutlass S, and now this 04, my standard saying is "It only rains at stop signs!")

Sombrero...works in sun OR rain! (Actually, having owned a few convertibles, a 73 Mustang and a 69 Cutlass S, and now this 04, my standard saying is "It only rains at stop signs!")
Love it!

My second car was a 73 mustang fastback.

Hi;
I'm wearing a tweed cap I got in Scotland some years ago. Stays on nicely, but not a lot of sun protection.
Thanks, Jim
If you want some protection go and look within stores that service sailors/boaters like West Marine. Hats sold there have straps to keep them on your head and flaps that protect your neck. However well these work, they aren't very attractive.

Hi;
Thanks, Jim
Got ours at etsy.

Attachments

• 20220602_132213.jpg
    20220602_132213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
b_1955%20Ford%20Thunderbird%20Introduction-01.jpg

A snappy fedora, obviously!

LOL I have several snappy fedoras; I won’t risk them flying off!

LOL I have several snappy fedoras; I won’t risk them flying off!
I have quite a few, and most are pretty pricey, so I'm like you...I think they'd look *great* to drive around in, but I can't take the risk of losing one! (The Borsalinos do come with a "wind cord" that you are supposed to be able to attach to your lapel, in case it flies off in the breeze, but I'm too chicken to test it out in the T-bird! LOL!).

Got ours at etsy.
I spent about two hours looking at all the caps on Etsy last night. My problem is that I almost have to have a snapback cap. I guess my head is too small for those "one size fits all/most". Anyway, they don't tell what type the caps are with most of them. I would buy a cap like yours in a heartbeat if it was a snapback. Which type is yours? Thanks in advance. JJG

Here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8513MQ/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

It does NOT have a snap at the back, it's solid fabric all the way around. I've had it on at 65mph+ with the top down, no slippage at all. I got the XL size.

Amazon says they aren't available now, so maybe I got the last one?

Search google for "2002-05 Ford Thunderbird Hardtop Classic Outline Design Flexfit 6277 Athletic Baseball Fitted Hat Cap"

Hi;
Thanks, Jim
Hi there: The ideal choice is a campaign/forest ranger straw hat like the one Smokey The Bear wears. People stop me in the street for compliments. It is well ventilated and has a chin strap. You also get 360 degrees of shade protection. Best ones are from Galls.com. I ;have three of them. 20220527_072803.jpg

I have one of those...an actual NPS ranger hat, complete with the NPS leather hatband! It's an awesome hat...I use it for airshows to keep from getting neck, ears and face (as well as my bald head) from getting fried to a crisp. :) Probably illegal to wear for a civilian, but what the heck...

Pretty sure it wouldn't work in a T-bird with the top down, though LOL!

On the contrary, they work very well in a Tbird with the top down - if you have a chin strap. My hats all have one.

Attachments

• 20220509_205208.jpg
    20220509_205208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Fitted baseball hat.
That brim comes in very handy when driving into the sun
I think it's actually dangerous to drive top down without that brim. Sun gets right in your eyes and makes visibility very tricky

Back