1956 door panel installation

G

George Clayton

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am getting ready to attach the door panels to the doors. I have seen pictures and videos where the panels are attached by screws to the door itself. Other photos show NO SCREWS used to attach the door panels. The cardboard has holes for screws, the door has holes for screws and the waterproofing paper has holes for screws. But, many restored 56's have no visible screws! How is that done?
What is the recommended way to attach these new door panels?

Screws are used in two locations on the door panel, the rest of the fasteners are push in from behind. One is located at the back end of the arm rest, the other located at the back bottom corner of the panel May not be the same for a 57.

I am getting ready to attach the door panels to the doors. I have seen pictures and videos where the panels are attached by screws to the door itself. Other photos show NO SCREWS used to attach the door panels. The cardboard has holes for screws, the door has holes for screws and the waterproofing paper has holes for screws. But, many restored 56's have no visible screws! How is that done?
What is the recommended way to attach these new door panels?
They do use panel studs/clips that go in the door holes, push pins. My ‘55 has one screw near the upper rear corner.

Screws are used in two locations on the door panel, the rest of the fasteners are push in from behind. One is located at the back end of the arm rest, the other located at the back bottom corner of the panel May not be the same for a 57.
The '57 is different. There is a channel in the bottom of the door to accept the door panel. there are 3-4 holes to mount the arm rest. I failed to find the screw to solidify where the arm rest curves to match the dash and the welt that goes there fell down inside. I have to pull it out and locate that screw hole and yes there are 'V' shaped spring clips that slip into holes on the panel and there are holes in the door to accept them to hold the panel in place on the perimeter.

Back