2003 Leaking bright green fluid.

Mark Madeira

Mark Madeira

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New owner of 2003 Tbird, purchased Sept. 2021 with 53,000 miles on the odometer. Wife had a 2002 Form Mustang GT Convertible and wanted another convertible. She was very happy until about 2 weeks ago when I found bright green (almost a fluorescent green) color fluid on the garage floor (see picture). Not sure what it is, manual says to use Orange antifreeze, I do know that antifreeze can change colors over time, but not from orange to green, that would be a stretch. Could this be some kind of dye? I read somewhere that Ford's refrigerant is green color, not sure if that is correct or not. At first, I thought the hose clamp had come lose but after more troubleshooting that does not appear to be the case, since it's not spraying out on the pipe. The leak is coming from between the engine and firewall and appears to be running down along a hose from that area and dripping on the catalytic converter. Since I can't see hose/pipe from top or underneath the car where it runs between the engine and firewall, I'm not sure what this is. Included some pictures, best I could get of the issue. Appreciate any help I can get from the experts on this forum. Thanks, in advance. Mark M.

InkedIMG_7081 copy_LI.jpgIMG_7077 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks similar to the leak finder dye they use to trace air conditioning leaks.

Yes, unless something is up with your camera that Day-Glo bright green looks like dye trace...
You may have inheritied someone's prior problems along with the car.

If the leak is near the firewall on the driver's side it wouldn't hurt to check the plastic overflow tank where you add anti-freeze, they
seem to be notorious for leaking after a time

Thanks for the quick response, Frankie. I agree with you, I might have inherited someone else's problem. No problem with my camera, that's what it looks line. I can't find any leaks on that side of the car in or around the degas tank. This is coming from the passenger's side between the firewall and the engine. What I need is a borescope so I can see back in there. Just looked at it again and it looks like it's coming from where the hose is crimped onto the pipe that goes across to the degas tank, still not positive though. I did purchase an extended warranty from the dealer where we got the car, so I might end up taking it to my mechanic to find the problem. I'm still open for suggestions. Thanks again for the quick response.
Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

The green stuff is kind of thick and oily. Not sure if it helps.

I thought tracer only turned green when exposed to UV light? Are you sure that your anti-freeze isn't just plan old green Zerex...look in your radiator. Yes, go to where you bought it.

Hey @Johnvins, that's what I thought also, the Ford owner's manual says to use Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored) and that's looks to be the color of what is in the degas tank. Unless someone flushed and refilled with green antifreeze at some point. Still a mystery to me. I'll post my findings when it gets resolved. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Johnvins, that's what I thought also, the Ford owner's manual says to use Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored) and that's looks to be the color of what is in the degas tank. Unless someone flushed and refilled with green antifreeze at some point. Still a mystery to me. I'll post my findings when it gets resolved. Thanks!

You can look in the reservoir bottle and see if it's the gold coolant or the green coolant.. I had a PT Cruiser that was in a front-end accident before we bought it used. The it should have been Chrysler's gold coolant not the green. That really does look florescent green almost like dye.

Last edited:
These cameras work well in tight places and work with your smartphone I use them for a ton of things:

Zerex G-05 coolant is miscible (yeah that's a real word) with neary any other anti-freeze in modern cars; its golden in color and I've used on everything from my 2002 Thunderbird to my 1963 Corvette...

Edward301 is correct. It's the oil in the Air Con. refrigerant. Hope your warranty covers it.

Thanks everyone! Looking up refrigerant color on the internet is confusing. Some hits say manufacturers will add a dye to the oil that shows up under a UV light and other hits state the manufactures add dye to the oil that is bright yellow or green, and better scene under a black light. So, it could be A/C refrigerant. Warranty covers the A/C system parts. Got an appointment in the morning at my local mechanic's shop.

Thanks everyone! Looking up refrigerant color on the internet is confusing. Some hits say manufacturers will add a dye to the oil that shows up under a UV light and other hits state the manufactures add dye to the oil that is bright yellow or green, and better scene under a black light. So, it could be A/C refrigerant. Warranty covers the A/C system parts. Got an appointment in the morning at my local mechanic's shop.
Make sure you report back with findings. FYI I've seen that exact green color in my Jeep's AC. It's found it leak seal and it's that color without the light.

Last edited:
I live about 13 miles from the repair shop, checked the coolant degas tank and it was full when I left. Suspecting it might be A/C refrigerant, I also pulled the #1 fuse for the A/C clutch before leaving, so as not to cause further damage. No overheat issue during the trip and degas tank still full when I arrived at the repair shop. So, it's not a coolant problem, most likely a refrigerant issue. Mechanic used an endoscope and was able to see behind the engine, he said it looked like there was a pin hole in the refrigerant line to the expansion valve at the firewall. Left before he was finished, and I still haven't heard back from the shop. Well update when I hear from the shop.

2003 Tbird, extended warranty will not cover the repair, they only cover major components, so $480.00 out of my pocket, less than what I expected. :) Repair shop found everything needed except one part. The tubing is on back order, and it will be at least two weeks until the part is available. I was afraid there might be a problem with parts, but a least they have a handle on it. Shops been parking the car inside at night, I'm going to pick it up, bring it home, and keep it in my garage until they get the part. Will follow up with result, whenever that is. Happy New Year!

Repair shop found everything needed except one part. The tubing is on back order, and it will be at least two weeks until the part is available
You never did say what was wrong. What parts are they replacing? What was wrong? I guess this means it was dye you saw from the refrigerant. Whoever had the car before probably used AC/Leak and an attempt to plug pinholes. Sometimes this will work for one summer.

I had the same problem with a 2003 Explorer that I brought new and maintained myself for 17 years. I think Ford was using refrigerant with the green dye at the factory.

You never did say what was wrong. What parts are they replacing? What was wrong? I guess this means it was dye you saw from the refrigerant. Whoever had the car before probably used AC/Leak and an attempt to plug pinholes. Sometimes this will work for one summer.
2003 TBird. Sorry, they have yet to get the part to fix my issue. It was a refrigerant leak, waiting on tube/hose that runs between the back of the engine and the firewall where it goes into the core. They found the part at Summit Racing, it was on back order, and they paid for the part. I checked back this past Monday with my mechanic and supposedly Summit got the part in, and it was supposed to be here this past week. I'll check back with him on Monday and update forum. Realize it's winter and don't need A/C but tired of waiting, it's been six weeks waiting on the part.

2003 TBird UPDATE: Well Summit racing finally admitted that they can't get the part, not available anywhere. My mechanic found a hose shop close by that said they can repair pressed on hoses. Mechanic was able to get the assembly off without having to remove the intake manifold, touch and go for awhile. The assembly is made up of 2 tubes and 2 pressed on hoses. The A/C plumbing assembly comes out of the firewall behind the engine, then a pressed on hose, another tube, and another pressed on hose, both of the hoses had a hole in them. They estimated about two weeks to get the assembly repaired. Mechanic said the hoses had deteriorated and busted. I haven't found any online articles related to this issue, could be the engine heat? I would expect others to have had the same issue. Will update when the TBird gets fixed.

Back