1955 single-piece trunk divider

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This board was not used in the '56 & '57, they just use a curtain which comes as part of the trunch mat set; https://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=2A287D84DC4A4810B4310DD747DB2FDE. I like the board option so I modified it, added Dynamat and installed it in my '57.
I have the same issue, and want something more substantial between trunk and passenger compartment. Did you use the cardboard piece, or just use it as a template for something more substantial, like some thin plywood? Looking for suggestions.
Ralph

Yes, I used it as a template, then 1/4" plywood. Painted it, covered it with Sound Deadening Mat, then added Burtex, for the original look.

I did similarly with 3/8 plywood
Painted out and interior side covered with black tucked vinyl to kinda match seat and also incorporated a pair of speakers to tie into the updated radio. Yup the car is a driver that we have many miles of good times with.

Yes, I used it as a template, then 1/4" plywood. Painted it, covered it with Sound Deadening Mat, then added Burtex, for the original look.
How were the after effects? Quieter, stiffer, In sedans there are body rails all over behind the rear seat but none on our little birds and invisible body panel connections. Relying on a really stiff frame?

My goal was a quieter ride and more attactive, but stock looking, trunk. It adds no structural support. I feel it has provided a bit quieter ride, and nicer finished back panel to the trunk.

I have the same issue, and want something more substantial between trunk and passenger compartment. Did you use the cardboard piece, or just use it as a template for something more substantial, like some thin plywood? Looking for suggestions.
Ralph
Ralph,

I know this conversation has gone off track, but if you are looking for the side board for a 1955 the item number is 45415A and CASCO sells it for $8.00.

If you are looking for the back panel for a 1955 the item number is 45444A and CASCO sells it for $21.95 and it comes with the jack storage instructions.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ralph,

I know this conversation has gone off track, but if you are looking for the side board for a 1955 the item number is 45415A and CASCO sells it for $8.00.

If you are looking for the back panel for a 1955 the item number is 45444A and CASCO sells it for $21.95 and it comes with the jack storage instructions.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Do you know if they also fit a 57 and are listed only for 55 because only 55 originally came with them?

Do you know if they also fit a 57 and are listed only for 55 because only 55 originally came with them?
The '57 only came with the truck side panel for the driver's side. The passenger side was left open for the jack etc. There is a panel to cover the wheel well though.

Incorrect info! The 55 only has the left side panel for the trunk. 56-57 have left and right trunk side panels. I own a 55.

I cut two 6 x9 holes in my 1-piece trunk divider and covered both sides with black vinyl on both sides. Now I'm concerned the divider is too thin to support two 6 x 9 speakers. I've been warned to gently close the trunk to avoid damage to speakers caused by air pressure. The person who warned me has firsthand experience.

Incorrect info! The 55 only has the left side panel for the trunk. 56-57 have left and right trunk side panels. I own a 55.

I cut two 6 x9 holes in my 1-piece trunk divider and covered both sides with black vinyl on both sides. Now I'm concerned the divider is too thin to support two 6 x 9 speakers. I've been warned to gently close the trunk to avoid damage to speakers caused by air pressure. The person who warned me has firsthand experience.
Wise words. Don't know how sturdy your divider is but if you are mounting 6X9s you want good sturdy press board And slamming the trunk blowing the speaker is valid.
Something you might consider is filling the void with a proper speaker box. Better sound and a good place to put one.

I had a couple cube speakers sitting around and installed them. Not great but better than nothing. Used small hardware store L-brackets which I bent to appropriate shape and screwed to the bottom lip. The trunk already had some kind of secondary Curtin back there and the speakers push it a little bit back into the trunk area.

cube speakers mounted behind drop curtin.JPG

Back