1956 Soft Top installation difficulty

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
I am looking at buying a 1956 which has a hard top from the factory. Can I easily fit a soft top ? There do seem to be kits on the market. Any advise welcome. Thanks.

All 1955, 1956, and 1957 Thunderbirds were built to mount a hard to or a soft top. If you look behind the seat you will find 2 studs on each side for mounting the swing arm that allows behind the seat storage for the soft top. Only very early 1955 cars may have a single hole deck plate for securing the rear of the top. all others will have a two hole plate that allows either top to be mounted. Additionally the windshield header has the cup shaped mounts for securing the front of either top as does the mounting plate on either side of the drop curtain area for securing either top to the sides. Although a swing arm assembly is not necessary for use of a soft top you will find it is invaluable for using the top. When you purchase a top make sure you get the swing arm assembly with it. After market soft tops are available through any of the Thunderbird specialty suppliers. Additionally Jewell makes a reproduction that meets factory specifications.
good luck to you. when we bought our '57 a bit over 25 years ago we had only a hard top. We purchased an after market soft top with swing arm and have used it ever since. Our top while purchased from Councours Parts was drop shipped from Prestige Thunderbird parts as the manufacturer. This is the only aftermarket soft top I have personal knowledge of and can recommend.

Steve, check out this link:

All 1955, 1956, and 1957 Thunderbirds were built to mount a hard to or a soft top. If you look behind the seat you will find 2 studs on each side for mounting the swing arm that allows behind the seat storage for the soft top. Only very early 1955 cars may have a single hole deck plate for securing the rear of the top. all others will have a two hole plate that allows either top to be mounted. Additionally the windshield header has the cup shaped mounts for securing the front of either top as does the mounting plate on either side of the drop curtain area for securing either top to the sides. Although a swing arm assembly is not necessary for use of a soft top you will find it is invaluable for using the top. When you purchase a top make sure you get the swing arm assembly with it. After market soft tops are available through any of the Thunderbird specialty suppliers. Additionally Jewell makes a reproduction that meets factory specifications.
good luck to you. when we bought our '57 a bit over 25 years ago we had only a hard top. We purchased an after market soft top with swing arm and have used it ever since. Our top while purchased from Councours Parts was drop shipped from Prestige Thunderbird parts as the manufacturer. This is the only aftermarket soft top I have personal knowledge of and can recommend.
You are looking at spending $2000-$3000 for a ready-to-use soft top.

It is not uncommon to find one or more of the four mounting studs broken. my soft top was retained by 3 studs. One was broken, and another was loose. I had to drill and tap the broken stud and inset a new stud. I used JB Weld on the loose stud.. A 90-degree drill/adapter is needed when drilling out the broken stud. There is not a lot of room to work in, but my seat and soft top were removed.

I've been looking for quite a while at '55 - '57 baby birds and I've found one that check off all my boxes, except it has no soft top. I assume the cars came from factory with all the needed hardware to add the top, but I have no hands on experience.

Can you tell me if that's the case and what I might expect to spend on purchasing the frame and installing it on a beautiful Sunset Coral '56?

Thanks in advance.

ps: if you'd like to give me you top three things to look for in the purchasing process, I'd love to see them.

I've been looking for quite a while at '55 - '57 baby birds and I've found one that check off all my boxes, except it has no soft top. I assume the cars came from factory with all the needed hardware to add the top, but I have no hands on experience.

Can you tell me if that's the case and what I might expect to spend on purchasing the frame and installing it on a beautiful Sunset Coral '56?

Thanks in advance.

ps: if you'd like to give me you top three things to look for in the purchasing process, I'd love to see them.
The bows are available and they are not cheep! The tops can be made from scratch or a kit purchased from (avoid Robbins) aftermarket kit producers. FIND SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH 55-57 TOP INSTALLATION!!! Mine just got out of the shop and I am on the cusp of a lawsuit!

The bows are available and they are not cheep! The tops can be made from scratch or a kit purchased from (avoid Robbins) aftermarket kit producers. FIND SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH 55-57 TOP INSTALLATION!!! Mine just got out of the shop and I am on the cusp of a lawsuit!
I'm just wondering how they could screw it up that badly. It's not technically difficult but a hassle.

I am looking at buying a 1956 which has a hard top from the factory. Can I easily fit a soft top ? There do seem to be kits on the market. Any advise welcome. Thanks.
Original, used soft tops are usually available from some of the Tbird parts suppliers. Prestige, CASCO and Hill's might have ones for sale as they deal in used parts as well as restore TBirds. The best ones are late 56 and 57 tops. Prestige has a replacement top which is very serviceable but is not an reproduction

Thanks in advance.

Original, used soft tops are usually available from some of the Tbird parts suppliers. Prestige, CASCO, Minter and Hill's might have ones for sale as they deal in used parts as well as restore TBirds. The best ones are late 56 and 57 tops. Prestige has a replacement top which is very serviceable but is not a reproduction. Any year top will fit any year Tbird, but there is different deck mounting hardware, all which are available. The Prestige top does use the original type fastening hardware.

I am telling ya, the prestige repro softop is the way to go. Cost effective, and easy to install with their swingarm. No kiddin

As stated above all of the baby birds had the swing arm mounts from the factory. Mine even has a broken stud which has caused me no harm.
When mounting I would start at the header over the windshield and then work back as that will be the place any misalignment will show up and tick you off if you have to go back, adjusting the length of the catch hooks . Then to the side clamps and finally the deck clamps. They are adjustable from underneath. The swing arm brackets should now fit in a natural position and then clamp them down last as every car has it's own personality unlike the new cars which are built with minimal human interaction. Just my two cents worth.

As stated above all of the baby birds had the swing arm mounts from the factory. Mine even has a broken stud which has caused me no harm.
When mounting I would start at the header over the windshield and then work back as that will be the place any misalignment will show up and tick you off if you have to go back, adjusting the length of the catch hooks . Then to the side clamps and finally the deck clamps. They are adjustable from underneath. The swing arm brackets should now fit in a natural position and then clamp them down last as every car has it's own personality unlike the new cars which are built with minimal human interaction. Just my two cents worth.
Or do whatever works! Haha! Cheers! Dan

It has been stated here that there are two holes in decklid for '56 and '57 cars. Which hole is used for each top; front for hardtop or rear hole?
Old thread, but hopefully someone can respond.
Thanks, Ralph

It has been stated here that there are two holes in decklid for '56 and '57 cars. Which hole is used for each top; front for hardtop or rear hole?
Old thread, but hopefully someone can respond.
Thanks, Ralph
Rear hole, Hard top, front hole soft top. The difference is because after the engineering the length of the soft top needed to be reduced to fit under the deck.

Back