1955 steering column adjustment

Y
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
steering column adjustment-1955 Column will not move in nor out, however, adjustment collar will loosen and tighten. Can't determine if it's in or out.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You are better off than many who discover the feature when even the ring won't turn. Get some PB Blaster and soak the connections. It may take a while but spray freely, keep a towel around the base to catch the run off and just keep pulling and pushing and you may be able to crack it loose but don't be in a hurry. May take days. . So glad I never had that problem.

steering column adjustment-1955 Column will not move in nor out, however, adjustment collar will loosen and tighten. Can't determine if it's in or out.

When it's well out there's quite a bit of "tube" exposed. When it all the way in there isn't much tube exposed.

I had my steering wheel column re-chromed and found the new chrome being just enough to stop the steering wheel from moving. I had to put some tape around the column and peel back the new chrome enough to clear the adjusting collar enough to move all the way down. I ran some Gorilla Glue around the edge of the peeled back chrome to keep it from peeling back anymore. I removed the tape when the glue dried. I didn't think of this until I started to re-assemble the steering column.

Back