How often does one change coils 2002 Thunderbird

hannah1989
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone,
My name is Hannah. I wanted to ask about the 2002 Thunderbird. My question is:
How on many miles can be put on a Thunderbird before I need to change out the coils?

also any tips like what type of oil and gasoline is recommended would be super helpful!

Hello everyone,
How on many miles can be put on a Thunderbird before I need to change out the coils?

also any tips like what type of oil and gasoline is recommended would be super helpful!
On the coils, the main issue for me was to change from the Ford coils to the recommended coils and plugs from Amazon here in this forum. I did it a year ago with instant and fantastic results. The car has 45,000 and runs like a new hot rod after the switch. I immediately ordered an extra set to have on hand, but zero issues yet. This is a great upgrade.
93 octane gas
Mobil 1 full synthetic is what I use-previous owner made this switch so I stuck with it.
Have fun! (fun, fun)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

Hi Hannah,
I bought my '03 4 years ago. It has been running good but I had to have the thermostat housing and tube change, had a small antifreeze leak. So why in the shop had them do coils and plugs, I bought the ones from amazon that @biddle recommends. knock sensor co2 and mas airflow sensor. The car has 179,000 miles and my mechanic said 2 coils had been changed and the other 6 were original. Hard to believe. We use synthetic oil and premium 91-93 octane fuel. Car runs and looks great with all the miles. Don't be afraid to drive your Bird, these cars love to be taken out for a fly.
Enjoy,
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hannah,
I bought my '03 4 years ago. It has been running good but I had to have the thermostat housing and tube change, had a small antifreeze leak. So why in the shop had them do coils and plugs, I bought the ones from amazon that @biddle recommends. knock sensor co2 and mas airflow sensor. The car has 179,000 miles and my mechanic said 2 coils had been changed and the other 6 were original. Hard to believe. We use synthetic oil and premium 91-93 octane fuel. Car runs and looks great with all the miles. Don't be afraid to drive your Bird, these cars love to be taken out for a fly.
Enjoy,
Pat
It is so refreshing to hear some of the good times with the Retro Birds; instead of all the doom and gloom stories we usually hear. Don't be a fraid to share those good stories too. This weekend I took out our 2004 and got so many compliments. These are great auto's no matter how many bad stories you hear about them. GO Retro;)

Hi Hannah, the ignition "coil on plug" systems ("COPS") are designed to last a very long time, over 100,000 miles. However the Thunderbird COPS frequently don't last that long in reality. They fail at much shorter mileage intervals, sometimes from internal issues like the plastic ageing and sometimes from external issues like water or oil leaking on to them as various plastic or rubber seals age and begin to leak. The cheapest approach is to wait until you experience a misfire, and then replace the COP that failed when that happens. My recommended approach, which I think is what most people do, is to wait until you experience a misfire, and then replace all of the COPS and spark-plugs. That is not much more expensive than doing it the cheap way if you buy the COPS recommended on this forum. The cautious approach, if you really don't want to ever experience the car running poorly, is to do it regularly, maybe every 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Given the Ford COPS experience with my 2001 F-150 this issue is not limited to the Thunderbird. In the 16 years and 297,000 miles I had to change coils about every 25-30,000 miles. Thankfully, the OBD reader would point out which cylinder was misfiring and I carried a set of spares. The problem in that V-8, was the #2 and #7 cylinder….both frequent flyers

Hello everyone,

I thought washing the dust off on the engine would be cool. Missing coil covers should've been a clue but I wiped out three sparkers on one bank. I replaced all 8 (in for a penny...) with ruthenium plugs (should never have to replace the plugs again) and premium Hitachi coils. Rock auto. I don't know if the covers fit, missing.
I use Pennzoil synthetic and 91 gas. One thing use "top-tier" gas there is a difference. I think Chevron then Shell are the best.

Hello everyone,

If it's not broke, don't fix it when it comes to the coils. I've not seen an mileage stipulation. When it begins to lose power misses, has a rough idle, it's time to look into it. You can find them on Ebay very reasonably.... under $100 for a full set with plugs. I recommend Nippon Denso. I've been using synthetic lubes/oils since the 1970's. I've never had an issue if you change it regularly. I usually opt for 3500 miles or every 6 months. I personally use Liqui-Moly (German Diester Oil) or Amsoil is good. I just paid $45ea. for a 5 qt jug on Ebay (5W-20). You'll need two jugs as the oil capacity is higher. The Ford oil is a syn. blend and you could certainly use that. But, in HOT and very cold climates I prefer the thermal stability of a syn oil. Don't believe all the hype about extended oil changes. It's not worth it when you look at the cost of repairs vs. excellent maintenance. Don't forget the differential. It's a VERY expensive fix and the capacity of the T-Bird diff. isn't very great. Get a syn gear lube as well. Unfortunately, there's no drain plug on the T-Bird. You have to run the car and while warm suck the oil lube out and replace it until it begins to pour out of the fill hole. And just as important, assume the the previous owner didn't service the transmission and get it flushed and refilled. It's not cheap but it's less than a $3500 trans repair/replacement.

Hello everyone,

Hi Hannah. I had my coils changed at Ford around 35,000 miles. A couple went out, Ford said the rest would go so I had them all changed. I have 82,000 miles now and still no problem.

Back