1966 no start issue, starts at solenoid

JimBel
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
A previous owner disabled the neutral safety but it started great before I started work on it. I installed a new switch but can not locate any of the wires to connect to it. I have all of the wiring diagrams but they don't make sense. I followed the red with blue wire from the starter relay to the left fender then to a plug to an unknown unit attached to the back of the cruise control unit, so I'm assuming it's for the cruise control. From what I read, getting the cruise to work on these cars is a very expensive endeavor so that's not in any plans. I've already replaced the ignition switch and harness. There were red with blue wires on it which from what I see in the wiring diagram, one goes to the neutral switch and the other goes to the starter relay, but with the wire going to the cruise unit, which doesn't appear in any of the diagrams I have and nothing like them under the dash, I'm stumped and could really use some help, please.

Interesting, I don't have any of my diagrams here in California but I don't believe the starter goes through the cruise. There should be brake light wires headed there ( brake light acts as an interupter).
The red with blue wire on the starter relay, which post is it on?
So do I understand that you have the new switch installed now, and wired?
If so the switch could also be out of adjustment.

Please use the 4 digit model year as prompted. This aids in site search and google searches. I will correct it. Also, we are an all Thunderbird site, so no need to include "Tbird" "Thunderbird" in your subject. Editing now.

model-year.jpg

Please use the 4 digit model year as prompted. This aids in site search and google searches. I will correct it. Also, we are an all Thunderbird site, so no need to include "Tbird" "Thunderbird" in your subject. Editing now.

View attachment 17948
The switch I was referring to that I replaced with a new harness was the ignition switch. I cant find any wires under the dash to connect to the new neutral safety switch that I also installed. I did notice a looped sort of pink color wire that was quite warm and it was in the harness for the ignition switch. I had a thought last night while thinking about this, maybe I'm looking at the wrong wires. Maybe its the connector that i'm jumping on the solenoid to start the cart hat I should be tracing down. I believe it follows down the right side fender and possibly to the fuse panel at the right side kick panel? I'll be looking for this when I'm back in the shop. If it is there I'll check resistance and maybe just run a new wire to the neutral safety.

On your car are the wires on the back of the ignition switch in a molded plug or bolted on separately?
I am asking because the car started before, maybe the solonoid wire was accidentally left off, or is in the wrong place.

On your car are the wires on the back of the ignition switch in a molded plug or bolted on separately?
I am asking because the car started before, maybe the solonoid wire was accidentally left off, or is in the wrong place.
I installed a new molded plug and harness when I replaced the ignition switch. All the wires color coded so it was an easy install.

Back