1957 Electronic Fuel Injection Conversion

K
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Having carb problems and was thinking of a conversion to EFI have any of you made such a conversion and do you have any recommendations for the brand/model? Thanks in advance for any responses.......Ken

I put a Holley Sniper in my 61 390 FE. Installation was surprisigily easy. The engine runs much better than with the stock carb. The display is informative and has useful adjustments like the idle rpm. I would would recommend the Sniper.

Having carb problems and was thinking of a conversion to EFI have any of you made such a conversion and do you have any recommendations for the brand/model? Thanks in advance for any responses.......Ken
I did a FiTec on my '55. it required changing to a '57 (Holley) intake and then having to enlarge the holes for the butterflies to clear.
You'll need to install an O2 sensor, temp sensor and a tac pulse from and electronic distributor. I have an early unit which uses the mechanical pump which feeds a can that houses the FI pump. Also had to run a return to the tank.
I'd reccomend it.

I did a FiTec on my '55. it required changing to a '57 (Holley) intake and then having to enlarge the holes for the butterflies to clear.
You'll need to install an O2 sensor, temp sensor and a tac pulse from and electronic distributor. I have an early unit which uses the mechanical pump which feeds a can that houses the FI pump. Also had to run a return to the tank.
I'd reccomend it.
Thanks for your reply...my original post was some time ago...I didn't get much feedback...since then I have purchased a complete FI system...the 02 sensor has been welded into place..in the next few days we will start the installation process process ...looking forward to the results.

Good luck. I don't know what you will be using for a distributor but a couple of thoughts; I did my conversion about 7 yrs back and could not at the time find an "electronic" distributor with a tach drive and so I converted my tach. But now I see that tach drive distributors are available. Also I was just able to squeeze a second temp sensor in the head "under" the distributor as the origional one is now used for the EFI. This I for my console mounted temp guage.

Thanks for your reply...my original post was some time ago...I didn't get much feedback...since then I have purchased a complete FI system...the 02 sensor has been welded into place..in the next few days we will start the installation process process ...looking forward to the results.
Who's set up did you go with, and what are you doing for a pump and return?

I'm in the accumulating parts stage of installing a Holley Sniper FI set up on my wife's 57. I'm currently waiting on a fuel tank with an in-tank pump and return from Rock Valley Antique Auto. It should be here in early november. I'm using a Mummert Aluminum intake manifold, Sanderson shorty headers,and this distributor https://swperformanceparts.com/prod...VhCdLqKCuZm5lRdXmedwwLG3Pa4F6prwaAl74EALw_wcB.

Here's an interesting link about potential solutions for distributor set up to klet the sniper control timing as well. https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?51318-Timing-Control-Ford-Y-Block-312

Once the tank gets here and I really start the installation, I'll post up pictures and lessons learned.

an in-tank pump and return from Rock Valley Antique Auto. It should be here in early november. I'm using a Mummert Aluminum intake manifold, Sanderson shorty headers,and this distributor https://swperformanceparts.com/prod...VhCdLqKCuZm5lRdXmedwwLG3Pa4F6prwaAl74EALw_wcB.

Here's an interesting link about potential solutions for distributor set up to klet the sniper control timing as well. https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?51318-Timing-Control-Ford-Y-Block-312

Once the tank gets here and I really start the installation, I'll post up pictures and lessons learned.
Who's set up did you go with, and what are you doing for a pump and return?

I'm in the accumulating parts stage of installing a Holley Sniper FI set up on my wife's 57. I'm currently waiting on a fuel tank with an in-tank pump and return from Rock Valley Antique Auto. It should be here in early november. I'm using a Mummert Aluminum intake manifold, Sanderson shorty headers,and this distributor https://swperformanceparts.com/prod...VhCdLqKCuZm5lRdXmedwwLG3Pa4F6prwaAl74EALw_wcB.

Hi thanks for your message. I Went with an MSD Atomic unit...this unit came with its own electric fuel pump and didn't require a return line. After considerable thought we decided to mount the fuel pump to the frame and avoid having to try to install it in the tank or purchase a tank with a pump inside.
The unit I used allowed for the use of the stock intake manifold, distributor and exhaust manifold.
I had some concerns about any noise coming from the fuel pump...but there is none.
I left the original fuel line filter and vacuum lines in place...wanted the engine compartment to look as original as possible.
So far we are totally satisfied with the results...turn on the ignition...let the fuel pump do its job for just a few seconds and just hit the starter...it starts instantly...hope that all of this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Holley has a persistent flat spot and running rich. It already has electronic ignition. Any advice on changing to EFI and if so, what are the pitfalls? Any brand stands out? New field for me!

While there are several good brands out there I have heard more about the Holly system than anything else. Basically a bolt on relatively easy to adjust. I have not done this myself, but talked to people at car shows because I have considered it for some of my cars...

Hi,

I have a Holley Terminator on my 65 bird for 3 years runs absolutely perfect had a sniper for a few weeks it was garbage ECU was overheating and you can't buy a replacement you have to send the whole unit in and wait weeks to get it back at least with the Terminator I can get most parts from a regular Auto parts store. If you go EFI install the fuel pump in the tank it will save you lots of trouble in the long run I have done many EFI installs on different cars and the external pumps tend to run hot, cavitate and our noisy. Most of my efi complaints from customers were from noisy external pumps.

Joe

Last edited:
Back