Pertronix Electronic Ignition for Ford Thunderbird 1955-1974

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
There are 2 kits available for the Ford Thunderbirds . One will be for the stock distributor that will fit the 1955-1956 Y-blocks. Some people replaced the stock distributor with the newer distributor because it was a better distributor.

The other kit is for the 1957-1974 Ford 8 cylinder distributors.

The way you can tell the difference is the 55-56 stock distributor has a round rod coming into the distributor from the vacuum advance unit, it takes Pertronix Electronic Ignition Kit #1282. Purchase on Amazon here or Ebay here.

If the system is a 1955 6-volt it takes Pertronix Electronic Ignition Kit #1282P6. Purchase on Ebay here.

The 57-74 distributor has a flat rod coming in from the vacuum unit, it takes Pertronix Electronic Ignition Kit #1281. Purchase on Amazon here or Ebay here

s-l1600 (8).jpg

Last edited:
There are three different Pertronix conversations. Igniter, igniter 11, and igniter 111. Which one is best for the 57 312 TBird??

There are three different Pertronix conversations. Igniter, igniter 11, and igniter 111. Which one is best for the 57 312 TBird??
I have been using the ignitor in several cars including 3,57s and they work great. This last 1 i also installed the flame thrower coil as well. Can burn rubber in 1st gear and chirp tires in second, and this is an automatic.

Am getting ready to install the Pertronix 1281 on my 56. Car runs fine now, just rich (likely needs some carb work), but wanted a hotter ignition.
It sounds like the existing resister should be totally bypaased? What have others done? Appreciate the advice in advance!

Don't use the resistor. You need full 12v for optimal operation.

Don't use the resistor. You need full 12v for optimal operation.
If you want to retain the original look of the car, and you have the original style metal clad ignition resistor, remove the back of it, and solder a wire on the back side between the two terminals and then replace the back. You will have the look of the resistor but it will be bypassed.

Read the instructions that come with the Pentronics unit, mine had me check the value of the resistor before installation.

I've been installing Pertronix units in classic cars since literally their inception. The units still suffer from bad perceptions because of the lack of various protections leading to failures in the very first units ( Ignitor I versions), Ignitor IIs are well protected and extremely reliable and robust, Ignitor IIIs have a nice rev-limiting feature for those that like to "push" their cars and even more protections. They are basically Hall-effect cells and most modern cars have at least 6 or 8 in use in things like the ABS brake systems. The failures I have seen are due to using the earliest versions, bad installations (particularly mis-wiring; e.g. ballast resistors) or abuse. There was a bad spate of their Flamethrower coils about 6-7 years ago with hgih-failure rates but that has been dealt with.

Some folks like to replace the points & condenser with a Pertronix module. There are some minor wiring changes involved.
Using their matching ignition coil seems to be a good choice. Some Pertronix versions are subject to quick failure if the ignition is left on without the engine running.
OEM '56 distributors use a different Pertronix module than '57 or (obviously) 6v Positive ground 55's.

Some T-Bird parts suppliers sell more fully electronic distributors... made off-shore.

Attachments

• 55 56 loadomatic, 'flat' dist rotor index.jpg
    55 56 loadomatic, 'flat' dist rotor index.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 2
  • dist 56 bird c.jpg
    dist 56 bird c.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 2
That's why I like the simplicity of points & condenser. Easy to diagnose & service. It worked then and still works today. I'm stumped on how it improves performance and reliability from what I read here and other boards.

That's why I like the simplicity of points & condenser. Easy to diagnose & service. It worked then and still works today. I'm stumped on how it improves performance and reliability from what I read here and other boards.
Same here.
I had an aftermarket conversion kit fail / shut down while in the middle of a left turn and almost got broadsided by a loaded dump truck. A points style distributor went back in the car the same day.

I use a rebuilt oem '57 tach drive distributor in my '55 (with a '57 carb & intake) and have also used the dual point kits in them to help the points last longer if nothing else.
Several years ago I purchased boxes of NOS and NORS points & condensers to use for future tuneups as the quality of new off-shore replacements isn't the same.

Attachments

• not a '57 312 engine.jpg
    not a '57 312 engine.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 57 dist dual points copy.jpg
    57 dist dual points copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • dyna-flyte dual points.jpg
    dyna-flyte dual points.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 14
have had great results with Petronix ignition module and coil combination.
Super simple installation and still uses original cap so look stock.
Faster easier starts and reliable runability
Just my opinion:)

I would highly recommend switching to Petronix.

I have them on 5 of my cars and am going to put them on the 6th soon. I use the original coil and have had no problems with it.

Greetings I have a stock 292 with the original carb and distributor
I want to replace the points with electronic module and I assume the proper coil
What is the most reliable product and who sells it? Appreciate the response
Ed R

I also labeled the coil so anyone would know how to reconnect it in the proper manner.(unlike with points).

Last edited:
Back