2003 Rear Bumper Cover Advice

L

LightningFowl

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So, hello again everyone. I was waxing down my good old pal, my 2003 Thunderbird and noticed that the rear bumper cover is starting to separate under the tail lights.
if I push up in the center, underneath, everything come back together. I asked the Ford Dealer, but they were only as helpful as they ever are. I was told to go to a body shop because they have no idea why it’s doing this.
Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you end up going to a body shop to fix and how were the results?

70398128-F9BF-44D5-A0FC-12CADBC5B738.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the dealer gave you excellent advice. Could just be a minor adjustment.
My 02 needed the rear bump we repaired,, tihe estimator noticed the wider seam, I hadn't, said when they take bumper off may need to replace brackets, but they didn't need too, reattached looked perfect, u might remove, check & reattach

There are clips that are attached to the body of the car. The cover has to fit into those clips. Body shop can do. If clips are broken they can order new. Might look at Ford Parts diagram

My bumper has that problem, I found the plastic clip on the garage floor. The plastic had cracked.

I am curious when you say yours warp, does it look like 3 dimples or kind of waves on the top portion of the sides of car?

So, hello again everyone. I was waxing down my good old pal, my 2003 Thunderbird and noticed that the rear bumper cover is starting to separate under the tail lights.
if I push up in the center, underneath, everything come back together. I asked the Ford Dealer, but they were only as helpful as they ever are. I was told to go to a body shop because they have no idea why it’s doing this.
Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you end up going to a body shop to fix and how were the results?

View attachment 16997
I have noticed that rear bumper cover on my 2004 Thunderbird is loose and sticking out where the bumper cover contacts the quarter panel near the tail light. Looking at the different Retro Birds in my Thunderbird club, I noticed that 9 out of 10 of them have the same issue.

Right Before 1.jpg

This easy repair that can be done in less than an hour, and when completed, the bumper cover will be tight and back in line with the quarter panel once again.

Right After 2.jpg

Once the tail lights are removed you will see the area where bumper cover is loose at the quarter panel. Since there is no clip in this area I, used a #1907, 5/16” machine screw clip that I modified so it would fit and hold the bumper cover tight.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Clip 1.jpg

Clip.jpg

Right Repair 3.jpg

Right Repair 2.jpg

I have noticed that rear bumper cover on my 2004 Thunderbird is loose and sticking out where the bumper cover contacts the quarter panel near the tail light. Looking at the different Retro Birds in my Thunderbird club, I noticed that 9 out of 10 of them have the same issue.

View attachment 28741

This easy repair that can be done in less than an hour, and when completed, the bumper cover will be tight and back in line with the quarter panel once again.

View attachment 28742

Once the tail lights are removed you will see the area where bumper cover is loose at the quarter panel. Since there is no clip in this area I, used a #1907, 5/16” machine screw clip that I modified so it would fit and hold the bumper cover tight.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 28743

View attachment 28744

View attachment 28745

View attachment 28746
Wow! Thank you so much! I will be trying this soon!

I did a similar thing with a custom cut and bent pc of sbeet metal and screws with the tail light removed on the right side. Unfortunately I took no pics but it's the same principle. Left side still OK. Easy job. Hardest part is removing tail light as there are some long bolt extensions that won't fit a nut driver so you end up using a small wrench to get in there. Made a nice difference.

I did a similar thing with a custom cut and bent pc of sbeet metal and screws with the tail light removed on the right side. Unfortunately I took no pics but it's the same principle. Left side still OK. Easy job. Hardest part is removing tail light as there are some long bolt extensions that won't fit a nut driver so you end up using a small wrench to get in there. Made a nice difference.
The best thing about using the 5/16” machine screw clip is that other than having to cut off the top portion of the clip, no bending or screws are required. The nut on the long stud of the taillight can be easily removed by using a 7/16" deep well socket.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The best thing about using the 5/16” machine screw clip is that other than having to cut off the top portion of the clip, no bending or screws are required. The nut on the long stud of the taillight can be easily removed by using a 7/16" deep well socket.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back