1966 parking brake release

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The parking brake release handle on my ‘66 landau hardtop is missing. Release works fine if I use a screw driver to move it. But, of course, having the handle is what I want. My driveway is sloped, so I use the brake and it’s a pain to release without the actual handle. I’ve look through catalogs and on line but cannot find the part. Any ideas? I don’t even know what the handle looks like or how it was attached, so it would be helpful if you could send a pic of what I am looking for. Would a mustang part fit? Other ideas????

The parking brake release handle on my ‘66 landau hardtop is missing. Release works fine if I use a screw driver to move it. But, of course, having the handle is what I want. My driveway is sloped, so I use the brake and it’s a pain to release without the actual handle. I’ve look through catalogs and on line but cannot find the part. Any ideas? I don’t even know what the handle looks like or how it was attached, so it would be helpful if you could send a pic of what I am looking for. Would a mustang part fit? Other ideas????
i may have one

Thanks - Can you send me a pic of what it looks like and do you know how it attaches? I have no idea on either.

There isn’t a handle on ours. There is a vacuum release activated when you take the car out of park. There is a back up mechanical release as well. It is approximately 1 inch lever at the top of the emergency brake. Push lever in to release brake. The rear vents are fed off the same vacuum line. Vacuum line tees off after can on passenger side firewall. I had to replace tee because hose kept popping off. Neither brake release nor rear vent would work when that happened.

No handle for the emergency brake release. It is done with the vacuum release, as pafudd said above. The vacuum release switch is located on the upper part of the steering column down near the brake pedal. If it is adjusted properly, with the transmission in park or neutral, you can press the brake foot pedal down and it will ratchet up and apply the brakes. When you move the transmission from park or neutral, the vacuum switch will release the brake, and the pedal will come back to "normal".

Back