1957 Windshield Wiper Motor 2nd Cable

W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am replacing the original vacuum windshield wiper motor on my '57. There are TWO mechanical cables that attach to the motor. One obviously goes to the wiper controller knob on the dash. However the second one appears to go out through the main firewall grommet and terminates in the front driver-side fender, near the left fresh air vent. What is it supposed to connect to (and why)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I am replacing the original vacuum windshield wiper motor on my '57. There are TWO mechanical cables that attach to the motor. One obviously goes to the wiper controller knob on the dash. However the second one appears to go out through the main firewall grommet and terminates in the front driver-side fender, near the left fresh air vent. What is it supposed to connect to (and why)? Thanks in advance!
Hi,
In addition to the cable going to the control knob, the only other cable that I have seen going to the vacuum wiper motor is a connection to the windshield washer foot pedal. The windshield washer cable did not go into the engine compartment, it went over to the windshield washer foot pump such that when you stepped on the windshield washer to pump water onto the windshield, you also turned on the windshield washers.
Good Luck,
Doug Lemmo

In the above post, last word, I should have said that when you pumped the water onto the windshield you also turned on the windshield wipers. The pump, if you have one, is located near the clutch pedal.

That's exactly what it was. We had taken out the washer pump many moons ago and evidently tucked that line under the fender to get it out of the way (but left that cable under the dash). So I just pulled that cable out, reinstalled wiper motor, linkage, bezels, etc and once the vacuum was connected, everything works great now. Thank you so very much

I have a similar problem.... how do I connect the wiper pump cable coming from the foot pedal pump to the cable the connects to the wiper motor at the wiper switch. I see where the cable wire pushes the plunger insider the wiper motor cable but can't figure out how it attaches / connects
thanks Bill (PS 57 tbird). I did not see any other similar posts, hoping someone has seen this before as not in the manuals

Attached is the cable configuration at the wiper motor from the Thunderbird Restoration Details and Specifications Manual.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Wiper Motor Cable Configuration.pdf
    558.9 KB · Views: 13
Doug

Immensely helpful. Thank you very much. I will have to find and order that manual also. Best regards. Bill

I have an early '57 (Feb 1st) with the washers but can find no sign there was a cable from the pump to the motor. No hardware at all other than the bold holding it to the firewall. Was that a standard equipment issue with the washers or was it introduced later. I found my power steering ram and hoses are '56 style from the factory.

I have an early '57 (Feb 1st) with the washers but can find no sign there was a cable from the pump to the motor. No hardware at all other than the bold holding it to the firewall. Was that a standard equipment issue with the washers or was it introduced later. I found my power steering ram and hoses are '56 style from the factory.
I guess mine never came with the auto wiper function as there is no cable nor hardware. I'm going to replace the pump but I can't figure out how to remove the plunger & pedal so I can pull it off the fire wall.

Back