2005 To chrome or not to chrome

Ron W.

Ron W.

Marilyn's Daddy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So at this point I have added the chrome trim to the air scoop and wondered what others have done if anything. I was thinking the chrome surround around the grill.
How much is too much?

Your car, your choice. I’ve done the hood scoop, rocker panels, taillight bezels, and protective trim on the sail panel to prevent hardtop scratches. I keep going back and forth on the taillights in my mind. My daughter likes them so they’re staying. One day it will be hers when I’m too old to drive it.

So at this point I have added the chrome trim to the air scoop and wondered what others have done if anything. I was thinking the chrome surround around the grill.
How much is too much?
I think it adds a classy touch to an already classic ride! I have more chrome than you can see in this picture, including the scoop and sail panel.
D8FC0753-43BA-481F-886F-6A2A626044E8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your car, your choice. I’ve done the hood scoop, rocker panels, taillight bezels, and protective trim on the sail panel to prevent hardtop scratches. I keep going back and forth on the taillights in my mind. My daughter likes them so they’re staying. One day it will be hers when I’m too old to drive it.
I have the tail light bezels coming. I may do the rocker panels but I think I def. want some nice decorative side chrome to protect the doors.

I've added a few pieces here and there. To me Just a little Bling is just right!

How much is too much?
My '03 has the "too much" for my taste. But with respect for the PO and the fact it would be a pain to remove... it stays. He liked lots of "bling" and added about everything he could find for the retro and then some. That said... It does turn some heads!

My '03 has the "too much" for my taste. But with respect for the PO and the fact it would be a pain to remove... it stays. He liked lots of "bling" and added about everything he could find for the retro and then some. That said... It does turn some heads!
just ordered the slightly extended chrome headlight brows for a more 57 effect along with the taillight bezels. May do the chrome surround around the grill an some side chrome (more to protect the doors than anything else.

Got my chrome taillight bezels from Thunderbird specialties. I believe they have the door handle surrounds as well but they come in a bundle with fog light and marker light surrounds. Where did you get your chrome side strips? would love to see a photo. Thanks
I put a smaller chrome trim and I like the look of it.....I saw it on a black TBird and looked nice. I dint want a larger molding to over take the look, Just my appeal ......still looking for door handle covers.......would like to see more chrome.,,,we all have our way of dressing up our TBIRDS.....Did you like the bezels you bought? send a picture please...

Attachments

• TBIRD.jpg
    TBIRD.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 17
I put a smaller chrome trim and I like the look of it.....I saw it on a black TBird and looked nice. I dint want a larger molding to over take the look, Just my appeal ......still looking for door handle covers.......would like to see more chrome.,,,we all have our way of dressing up our TBIRDS.....Did you like the bezels you bought? send a picture please...
Here's my tail light bezels and the extended chrome eyebrows which I added a 1/8th" bead of chrome to the edge to beef up the look a bit, I like them very much. I also added the chrome surround around the grill and the hood scoop trim

really finishes it off.5E979FA3-0481-4400-A118-CD5C9F8CEC51_1_201_a.jpeg4B812E86-8C45-40A7-A7CC-FEA6BE574140_1_201_a.jpeg

I just ordered the grill surround - like the look. Already have the hood scoop chrome and the tail light kit Which were applied by a previous owner.

Am undecided on the chrome on the headlights. Are you happy with them? Do they reduce the light output at all?

I just ordered the grill surround - like the look. Already have the hood scoop chrome and the tail light kit Which were applied by a previous owner.

Am undecided on the chrome on the headlights. Are you happy with them? Do they reduce the light output at all?
Don't put them on the headlights. Had them when I bought the car and the tail light trim too. Bought new headlights and they look much better. I have the hood scoop too. It and the tail light trim look ok but the headlight trim looks very tacked on. Be careful what you add. That double stick tape is very tough to remove. A heat gun will help but you have heat sensitive material under and around the unit. I tried to pry one off and came to the conclusion that I was going to destroy the hesdlight due to force. you can take the unit out of the car but how do you hold it? Build a jig? New headlights are about $75 to $85 each with a light bulb in it. Pretty cheap compared to $1,000+ ea for tail lights. I would remove the tail light trim too if I could. Replacement is too expensive. This is a very subjective decision as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just be advised that it will not come back off reaistically.

Don't put them on the headlights. Had them when I bought the car and the tail light trim too. Bought new headlights and they look much better. I have the hood scoop too. It and the tail light trim look ok but the headlight trim looks very tacked on. Be careful what you add. That double stick tape is very tough to remove. A heat gun will help but you have heat sensitive material under and around the unit. I tried to pry one off and came to the conclusion that I was going to destroy the hesdlight due to force. you can take the unit out of the car but how do you hold it? Build a jig? New headlights are about $75 to $85 each with a light bulb in it. Pretty cheap compared to $1,000+ ea for tail lights. I would remove the tail light trim too if I could. Replacement is too expensive. This is a very subjective decision as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just be advised that it will not come back off reaistically.
Thanks - I actually like the taillight trim and I just put on new headlights today. Took longer to undo the clips than anything else. I have a small crack in one taillight lens but I’m not paying $1200 for a replacement.

I just removed a ton of interior stick on fake wood trim and yes, that tape is horrible to get off.

Absolutely chrome! I was so excited there were add-ons available for when I at last got my dream car-A Thunder Blue model I've wanted for twenty years. I got the stripping, grill, etc everything except the headlight covers, and may still do that. I actually sent a few pieces back when I realized it might be overkill. The chrome beautifully compliments the white wall tires and the replacement white rag top to match the tires giving it a truly stand-out look.
I'll post some pics before the chrome and after to show what difference it makes.

I get so many questions and compliments on it. I always tell people they are out there, get one while you still can!
IMG_20230805_192621376.jpg

Back