1962 What was the original carburetor?

phaelax
Last seen
I just bought a '62 tbird and will admit I don't really know anything about fords (mopar guy). I saw the car, loved the body, and the price seemed right. At this moment, I'm just trying to gain a bit of general knowledge on what I just bought. At this point, all I know is it's a 390 and stock as far as I can tell with a single 4-barrel. What I haven't found yet is what was the original carb size? Would this have come with a generator or alternator? I'm assuming the car has drum brakes, haven't looked yet. Power windows and seat surprised me given the year. Anything on the car I should be on the look out for? Like for instance, it was a common problem on my '73 duster to have the ammeter fry the bulkhead connector.

I've seen several mentions of m-code cars. Based on what I've found online, that was a 390 with 3-2barrel holleys (and rare). Was that the only difference?

Hi welcome to the Tbird learning zone lol! The original carb was an Autolite 4100 but having attempted a rebuild I found the internals were crumbling so replaced with a 600 Holley. Electric windows and driver's seat were options as well as a further option for an electric passenger seat. Being a 62 it should have the swing away steering column as this became standard in 62. A generator was also standard with the regulator mounted by the rad (drivers side). I've upgraded to an alternator with new wiring replacing the original battery feeds and starting circuit. Drum brakes standard on these with a single pot master cylinder - all discussed on here for potential upgrade with the booster. Enjoy!

It looks like there's a holley on this one. It does have the swinging steering wheel, that's something different! When I looked at the car I wasn't as detailed as I usually would be. It was buried in snow so I couldn't look under the car but the rockers and trunk and looked solid without rust. First time I ever bought a car without driving it, hopefully that doesn't bite me in the rear. I don't even have it home yet, getting it this evening. Any recommended sites for tbird parts? I know I'll need new seat covers and I think the dash is cracked if I remember correctly.

You'll make the moderator VERY happy if the first place you look for parts is on Amazon, and follow the link directly from this site. I bet he comes along and inserts one in this post!
IF Amazon doesn't have your part, Pat Wilson in the East (NJ) and Bird Nest in the West (Oregon) can supply just about anything you can think of. Eckler's Auto Parts has a specials division called Macs Auto Parts with a special section for TBird parts. All three print really nice catalogs.
Have fun! You bought a GREAT car.

It looks like there's a holley on this one. It does have the swinging steering wheel, that's something different! When I looked at the car I wasn't as detailed as I usually would be. It was buried in snow so I couldn't look under the car but the rockers and trunk and looked solid without rust. First time I ever bought a car without driving it, hopefully that doesn't bite me in the rear. I don't even have it home yet, getting it this evening. Any recommended sites for tbird parts? I know I'll need new seat covers and I think the dash is cracked if I remember correctly.
I use Thunderbird Headquarters in California. Easy website and small Mom Pop shop. Great nolligable dude.

I use rockauto.com for lots of standard service parts, brake stuff etc. Pricing seems great and it includes shipping and duty to the UK so I know what to expect.

Took the car for a spin around the block today. After a few blocks I hit the gas to see what it'd do and what it did wasn't very nice..... Hood unlatched. So now I have a hood with bent corners that won't close. FML Hood needed repainted anyway as the car previously caught fire (carb and everything had since been replaced). The bracing under the hood has separated, not sure if from what just happened or prior damage from the fire.

Took the car for a spin around the block today. After a few blocks I hit the gas to see what it'd do and what it did wasn't very nice..... Hood unlatched. So now I have a hood with bent corners that won't close. FML Hood needed repainted anyway as the car previously caught fire (carb and everything had since been replaced). The bracing under the hood has separated, not sure if from what just happened or prior damage from the fire.
Didn't it catch on the safety hook bit? Thought that is what it is supposed to do! When I brought mine I noticed the hood corners were creased so maybe it's not uncommon?? I'd think a fire would distort and possibly cause it to flex especially if the bracing separated.

Doesn’t appear to be any safety latch. Once it’s released from in the car it just pulls right up. Is the bracing spot welded or attached by adhesive? Hopefully it can be repaired, not a whole lot of spare hoods floating around the net.

Back