disc brake conversion 1961

Hi @Larry Crowell , I am new to this forum and recently bought a ‘61 convertible. The master cylinder was replaced by the previous owner. Occasionally the front brakes lock up when I tap the pedal, but not all the time. I was contemplating going to front disc brakes anyway which should be more reliable. I dont think I could handle the conversion (although I am pretty handy). Do you have any idea what a shop would charge for the work?
Thanks for any thoughts. Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Larry Crowell , I am new to this forum and recently bought a ‘61 convertible. The master cylinder was replaced by the previous owner. Occasionally the front brakes lock up when I tap the pedal, but not all the time. I was contemplating going to front disc brakes anyway which should be more reliable. I dont think I could handle the conversion (although I am pretty handy). Do you have any idea what a shop would charge for the work?
Thanks for any thoughts. Mike
Hi Mike, Sorry, I don't have any idea what to tell you regarding shop charges as I did all the work myself. The kit I bought required changing the master cylinder and installing the front discs. It was all pretty straight forward, the toughest part was figuring out how to position the adapters to attach the calipers, other than that it was all pretty easy. Nothing a few hours and a few beers couldn't handle. - Larry

Hi Mike, Sorry, I don't have any idea what to tell you regarding shop charges as I did all the work myself. The kit I bought required changing the master cylinder and installing the front discs. It was all pretty straight forward, the toughest part was figuring out how to position the adapters to attach the calipers, other than that it was all pretty easy. Nothing a few hours and a few beers couldn't handle. - Larry
HAHA! Thanks Larry. I will look into the details. I already have a new master cylinder so thats one step done. Mike

Hi Larry. Can you provide the manufacturer and part number of the kit you purchased? I would also like to convert my front drum to disc brakes. Do you know if the 14" Kelsey Hayes spoked wheel will clear the calipers? - Fran

Back