1956 Timing Mark

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have been trying to find then timing mark on my 1956 Tbird 312 with no luck. I have a picture of the harmonic balancer and the pointer is pointing at nothing. Don't know if I am missing something are the pointer is too long. Thanks for any help, Jerry

Timing.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The marks are actually on the pulley, but the pulley may sometimes slip. Also your pointer looks slightly bent toward the inside. The marks may be very faint. I couldn't find them when I rebuilt mine, I made new mark on balancer. Check out this thread.

The marks are actually on the pulley, but the pulley may sometimes slip. Also your pointer looks slightly bent toward the inside. The marks may be very faint. I couldn't find them when I rebuilt mine, I made new mark on balancer. Check out this thread.

Ok thanks I will take a look at the pointer and pulley,

Are you sure you are at TDC?

Since the marks arr on the pulley rather than the damper, you have to look very close as they can be faint. The pulley on a Tbird cannot slip as it integral with the rest of the unit. Only the balancer ring can slip

I have been trying to find then timing mark on my 1956 Tbird 312 with no luck. I have a picture of the harmonic balancer and the pointer is pointing at nothing. Don't know if I am missing something are the pointer is too long. Thanks for any help, Jerry

View attachment 15059
The circle on the damper pulley is TDC and every mark before that is 2 degrees before TDC.

(See attached)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Timing Marks.jpg
    Timing Marks.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 7
Nothing to do with timming marks, but alot of these old engines like to be timmed with a vacuum gauge.
Hi, a bit of personal experience. I have tried setting my timing with a vacuum gauge and found the timing ended up at 20 degrees advanced when checked with my timing light. I was rather concerned that may be too much so reduced it to 16 degrees which seems fine. No kick back on the starter, no pinking. I did a TDC check and found the timing marks 6 degrees retarded.

Did you ever determine how the TDC mark was off by 6 degrees?

Did you ever determine how the TDC mark was off by 6 degrees?
No , I assume the balancer/pulley had either slipped or maybe the pulley was never marked correctly. I used a TDC finder I made from an old spark plug by welding a nut on top and a long stud with the head removed and the end radiused. Set number 1 piston about 1/2 inch before to TDC on the firing stroke with old plug body screwed in, turned the stud in until it made contact with the piston then LOCKED the stud lock nut. Put a temporary dob of paint on the pulley at the timing pointer. Removed TDC finder rotated the engine BY HAND about 1 1/2 inches past TDC, installed my TDC finder carefully turned the engine back towards TDC until the piston touched the TDC stud. Marked the pulley with a dob of paint. Measure the distance between the paint marks and half way between is the true TDC. Be sure NOT to loosen the stud lock nut when removing after setting.

Back